. .
    I'm about to embark on the exciting task of changing my router controller from LinuxCNC driving a cheapo parallel interface to UCCNC and an AXBB-E. Currently I have a laptop with an Ethernet port but it's a bit long in the tooth and I'm looking at replacing it. Most laptops these days come without Ethernet, relying on wireless connection into networks instead. Does anyone have experience of using a USB - Ethernet asdapter like the one linked below? If so are there any problems?

Does anyone use wireless to link UCCNC on a laptop into their home network and then an Ethernet port into an AXBB-E? Sounds dodgy but I'd be interested to know if it works reliably.

Kit

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...etwork-adapter
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Kit. I cannot answer your question, but can draw an analogy perhaps. The wired USB-Ethernet adaptors are pretty robust - I don't trust wifi for anything that requires a persistent, low latency connection (my use-case: gaming) - so my laptops that don't have wired ethernet do use these adapters and they are solid. There's stories of old of USB->Parallel printer adapters not working on parallel port BoBs - that I can understand - you can't sustain the timing characteristics over a USB interface and Mach3 would be hitting the p-port directly and wouldn't go through the HDD software layers required to allow the USB interface to operate. Also, the purpose of the AXBB is for UCCNC to offload higher level machine motion instruction into the AXBB for local pulse-generation - the critical timing aspect is localised to the AXBB, and from memory UCCNC rolls a 100ms or so buffer of data to the AXBB (and that might be adjustable). I'd be reasonably confident in the reliable use of a USB/Ethernet interface.

OIn the other hand - I wouldn't trust any WiFi link in an electrically noisy environment and with the prospect of the missus donning the rubber gloves (shudder) and using the microwave oven.

I have a beaten-up old desktop machine driving my router and an all-in-one PC (basically a screen in a thick case that has a motherboard and disk, etc, in it) driving my mill and both use wired Ethernet to the motion controller and Wi-Fi to house network - which can be a bit flaky as it uses Ethernet-over-mains adaptors. In practice, though, the house network is only used to download gcode and it has nothing to do with the actual cutting process so reliability and speed aren't so critical. I would never want to use files on a network file server during the cutting process, for example - I always use a local copy.

I don't know what the buffer size that UCCNC uses is, but I would be very surprised if it cannot cope with any very slight delays in the network processing. The data rate is well within the USB speed which is probably the limiting factor. I'm with Doddy - doubt if you'll have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    ... and with the prospect of the missus donning the rubber gloves (shudder) ...
    Sometimes there are advantages to being on opposite sides of the planet

And you play computer games.......

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Doddy, Neale,

Thanks to both for the advice. There's nothing on the CNCDRIVE website about this and I was concerned about problems with the software finding the ethernet port. I suppose with the USB adapters being so cheap I could buy one and test it on the existing laptop before comitting to a new machine without a real ethernet card inside. Laptops with network ports are still available if it does prove to be a problem.

Kit

Thread Information