. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    just the other side of Totnes
    Small world I sold and delivered my Warco WM18 to a guy in Totnes.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Biggest problem with machines in this part of the world is that you need lots of packing under one side as everything is built on the side of a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    Less of a man...... A real man blunders straight in with little thought, goes about things in an overly complex way with the wrong tools, then refuses to alter the plan and ploughs on regardless through sheer bloody mindedness. Come on now and "man up" and turn that 500 lines of code into 5000

I shall enjoy Devon if this cut finishes. Otherwise it will be weighing on my mind!!!
    I think you have the description about right!

As voicecoil said, trochoidal cutting will up the number of lines, though the relevant CamBam plug-in uses arcs rather than lots of straight lines.

Perhaps Devon won't be so good if they are not civilised enough to have Yorkshire Tea. We drink Yorkshire Tea here in Tasmania, though I haven't yet seen a packet of HobNobs.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

So, 2 days and 17 hours.... 8.6m lines of code later.... I have something fairly presentable made from the sink cutout of my worktop. A bit of minor sanding remedy and some antique stain and I'll have a map off a pirate ship!

I've learned a few lessons.

Use the correct tool for the job. Not a 0.25mm tapered ball nose end mill for something massive when you could have atleast doubled the size and greatly reduced cut time.

Tools wear out. Especially tiny tools. Noticed a small step appearing in the cut. After a couple of hours pondering the cause, I activated feed hold to inspect the bit. Bloody tip had worn or snapped off. Just a tiny bit but noticeable.

Have more than one of each bit. Thankfully I did have 2 of the same bit. So I could just swap bits and carry on without to much bother.

Multiday cuts are a faff. Had me checking all the time, going to bed at midnight and setting my alarm for 6am to get it cutting again. This was mainly down to my time constraint of leaving for a holiday today. Still, being a novice, this did consume me.

A bucket of water gets hot. Now I initially was worried and stuck some ice packs in it. This cooled it down for about an hour which I then realised would become rather tedious doing constantly for 3 days. So I took a deep breath, got the kids IR thermometer and measured the spindle temp. Stayed pretty constant at 35-40C. Realised this was unlikely to be dangerous and relaxed.

Models can be a bit ropey when you make them big. There are some edges that have some marks/artifacts that can not be from tooling. Almost diagonal hatching type lines. I'm assuming this is in the model when scaled up. Not sure how models are made......

Bigger is better. A faff it was, but I can't wait to stain and age it up. Its going to look epic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	293B0808-C8B8-4B40-87FA-64D060DD5FB7.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	29804
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F884B54A-8A2C-4B95-840D-59BAB6A1BECD.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	29805

Wow that looks pretty tasty! Where did the model come from - did you make it yourself?

I'd love to say I made the model - But alas no. Purchased off Etsy for £2.38!

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    That's a shame - we're only about 10 miles further on, just the other side of Totnes. A weird little town best described as where hippies go to retire, and open crystal healing shops and cat cafes (don't ask...)

Well, if you happen to be coming down again on one of the many warranty call-outs, give me a shout! I jest - you supply the hobnobs and I'll put the coffee on. No Yorkshire tea in this part of the world.
    Actually, I have very few issues with machines so warranty call-out makes a nice change sometimes, esp if it's in Devon or Cornwall.
    I've been to Totnes many times so know it well and don't worry about the tea, your water is shit so wouldn't spoil Yorkshire tea with it...:
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information