. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Hi It has been some years since i bought a licence for Mach3 and Mach4 has probably evolved to, but is there anything else that can be used in place of the Mach's??

Linuxcnc. And it’s free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might take a look at the Arduino based solutions.Fairly capable and also free,not to mention available for several platforms.That said,I chose LinuxCNC myself.

UCCNC. You need one of their controllers though. The uc300eth and uc400eth are nice boards. They also run Mach3 & 4.

I started off with Mach3 and tried LinuxCNC but didn't like it and in the end, I went for UCCNC. I think it is excellent. The drawback is that it has no lathe control function, so if you are dependent on that then you must stay with Mach.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    no lathe control function, so if you are dependent on that then you must stay with Mach.
    Or LinuxCNC

If you do go down the linuxcnc root Themis suggest using Gmoccapy as the gui as against Axis
    It’s look and feel is far nearer to a machine controller than Axis will ever be
    Very logic screen layout
    Support touch screen if you want it but equally fine with mouse and keyboard (either on screen or real)

I’m using linuxcnc on a boxford mill and a orac lathe. I have mach3 on a boxford bud lathe and the more I use linuxcnc the less I like mach3
    Linuxcnc just works where as mach3 does funny shit every now and again
    I would convert the boxford to linuxcnc but I’m using a pokeys controller board however it’s on the to do list just low down

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I started off with Mach3 and tried LinuxCNC but didn't like it and in the end, I went for UCCNC. I think it is excellent. The drawback is that it has no lathe control function, so if you are dependent on that then you must stay with Mach.
    Ah yes.
    However. Their controllers run Mach too so you just switch back to it as and when needed. Simple.

By the way.
    UCCNC TURN forum:
    https://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewforum.php?f=20

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    If you do go down the linuxcnc root Themis suggest using Gmoccapy as the gui as against Axis
    It’s look and feel is far nearer to a machine controller than Axis will ever be
    Very logic screen layout
    Support touch screen if you want it but equally fine with mouse and keyboard (either on screen or real)

I’m using linuxcnc on a boxford mill and a orac lathe. I have mach3 on a boxford bud lathe and the more I use linuxcnc the less I like mach3
    Linuxcnc just works where as mach3 does funny shit every now and again
    I would convert the boxford to linuxcnc but I’m using a pokeys controller board however it’s on the to do list just low down
    Paul
    I've had 1 glitch with Mach in 4 years.
    When I transferred a file to the Mach pc into the same folder a program was running from.
    That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I've had 1 glitch with Mach in 4 years.
    When I transferred a file to the Mach pc into the same folder a program was running from.
    That's it!
    You are/ have been very lucky
    Mach3 is well renowned for doing silly shit but if it works for you and you can live with all the bugs in it that will now never be fixed then carry on using it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information