. .

Thread: Micro steps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Tricky one, answering questions - you never know what the other person knows already. But given that these forums are also read by people looking to learn, I tend to err on the side of giving a bit too much rather than too little info. So, nothing personal intended!

"motor controller" is definitely wrong, though, as this implies something that directly connects to a motor which the motion controller does not. Might also be interpreted as something like a DC spindle motor controller which is a very different animal. Good luck with the project - lots of fun!
    no problem Neale, better to much info than not enough, thaks for the imput.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    That's not a good way to think of it and poor advice.! . ... Micro steps shouldn't be thought of or used to gain resolution, that's the purpose of the pitch of lead or ball -screws or whatever method you use for linear motion and any ratios which are applied.
    Most steppers can't resolve resolution much past 2000ms so anything after that is wasted in terms of resolution gains and then all you are doing is losing torque and stressing the motion controller, yes you gain a little smoother motion from the steppers but still not worth it and the high pitch noise is horrible.

No stepper really needs to be run past 2000ms and if small motors I'd recommend you don't go past 800 to keep all the torque you have, my preference is 1600ms for 3-4nm nema 23/4 motors but this varies depending on motor and drive combo's and how well they handle resonances, etc.
    Thanks Jazzcnc, your imput is much appreciated I give it a try at 1600, when it is all completed that is.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    P.S. I hope you are one of the lucky few that gets a MVEM working. There are a lot of bad experiences out there.
    I have heard that some have problems with it, but also some successes, but I have also heard of failures with other controllers, so maybe I will get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    That's not a good way to think of it and poor advice.! . ... Micro steps shouldn't be thought of or used to gain resolution, that's the purpose of the pitch of lead or ball -screws or whatever method you use for linear motion and any ratios which are applied.
    Most steppers can't resolve resolution much past 2000ms so anything after that is wasted in terms of resolution gains and then all you are doing is losing torque and stressing the motion controller, yes you gain a little smoother motion from the steppers but still not worth it and the high pitch noise is horrible.

No stepper really needs to be run past 2000ms and if small motors I'd recommend you don't go past 800 to keep all the torque you have, my preference is 1600ms for 3-4nm nema 23/4 motors but this varies depending on motor and drive combo's and how well they handle resonances, etc.
    I was only kind of talking the theory behind it.
    In terms of mills with steppers I've never gone above 3000 / 600. With steppers it's a bit pointless tbf.
    Atm mine is at 2500 / 500 / 5mm. (I like to keep it ll in5's lol).

When it comes to proper servo's however.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information