. .
    Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    I recently got a bulk salvage auction win and this was one of the meters which has a lovely large screen. I got it running and went to test it on a socket to test how accurate it was and blew the 500ma glass fuse in the back. Replaced it and still on pressing the on/off button this is all the meter will display, I've checked over the components inside for damage and checked the ceramic resistor too but that is also fine.

Un-able at all to find any information on this specific meter, almost like it never existed to a point.

Has anyone at all ever come across this situation or any knowledge with where to look next?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210603_195410.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	30023

Cheers

Rob,
    Only thing I can suggest is that you give it a hard reset by removing the battery completely, not just switch it off.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Sadly still no change, left it out for a few hours but nothing.

If there's no obvious other damage then I can't think what else to try.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hate to say it but I'd be thinking of "letting go".

There'll be one chip that does all functions including the LCD drive - if that's borked then....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

oops!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVO8mk2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	30041  

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Hate to say it but I'd be thinking of "letting go".

There'll be one chip that does all functions including the LCD drive - if that's borked then....
    Sometimes you have to admit defeat and move on.

You've reminded me that I walked away from an AVO 8 at a junk sale a few months back. A snip at $80AUD, I should have snapped it up. Used one almost every day when I first joined Auntie. You should look for one of these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVO8mk2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	30041

Kit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Got one of those in the workshop
    It’s outlasted all of the DVM,s

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    Got one of those in the workshop
    It’s outlasted all of the DVM,s

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really should have grabbed that one I saw a few months back, but I'd only just quit working and was paranoid about spending money.

If you're trying to measure signals that are neither DC nor sinusoidal AC (of which we have plenty on a CNC machine) then digital meters can get confused. The low-pass filtering and averaging provided by a nice mechanical meter movement then comes in very useful. As I have said before, you don't have to use the latest technology but you should always use an appropriate technology.

Kit

I've tried all sorts, I've managed to get a sporadic reset to where it reads but doesn't actually do anything but on a power cycle reverts back to the issue. We tried but no worries, cheers for the help guys!

Thread Information