. .

Thread: Wood source

Where everybody get their wood from for hobbists, to start I want small amounts of hardwood. I can practice with softwood but will want hardwood in the future. Are there timber merchants with small quantities.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
    Where everybody get their wood from for hobbists, to start I want small amounts of hardwood. I can practice with softwood but will want hardwood in the future. Are there timber merchants with small quantities.
    Just google hardwood UK suppliers

https://www.google.com/search?q=hard...oFtz1qeypk;mv:[[53.9683089,-1.9132403999999998],[52.7712815,-2.8685254]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e2!2m1!1e 2!2m1!1e16!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Local knowledge is key here. If you look up hardwood suppliers on t'interweb, all you get is flooring or logs for burning. I am lucky, in Nottingham there is a timber merchant, Brooks Bros, that has a good supply of exotic hardwoods and the man on the desk is happy to let you go and choose from the warehouse.

These people sound interesting and when this covid thing is over I would like to pay them a visit.
    https://exotichardwoodsukltd.com/ they are in Staffordshire.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Have bought from them often, wonderfull place to visit if you like wood, bit like being in a sweet shop

I prefer to actually visit the supplier and look at the wood on offer since it isn't like metal or plastic and utterly uniform.Which in practical terms means ideally no more than 70 miles away.It might help to know the OP's location as somebody in Dundee might not be too keen on a trip to Falmouth for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by routerdriver View Post
    It might help to know the OP's location
    If you are on a PC, you just need to hover over the flag - that gives me Caerphilly.
    I don't know what the equivalent is on an iPhone or Android.

Quote Originally Posted by routerdriver View Post
    I prefer to actually visit the supplier and look at the wood on offer since it isn't like metal or plastic and utterly uniform.Which in practical terms means ideally no more than 70 miles away.It might help to know the OP's location as somebody in Dundee might not be too keen on a trip to Falmouth for instance.
    Im in South Wales area, the exotic hardwood place mentioned above is about 3 hours away

Hi Andrew, have you had any luck?

Most good timber merchants provide machining services for their bigger clients and often have end cuts off boards.

They usually sell these off by the pallet, its handy for wood turning blanks etc.

Most boards are short, only a few feet maximum normally, but can be very thick, up to 3 inch boards.

Hope that helps?

WoodKnot

Thread Information