. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have been lurking here long enough , so here is my project.
    Small spindle head, un-ashamedly inspired by sherline spindles.
    It probably would be cheaper, quicker and likely better to buy one, but ...
    - it's not all about money
    - here, in our Rip Off Britain they are slightly more expensive than in US
    - I wanted to try an idea I had for bearings, different to those used in Sherline
    - and of course for me, it's about making things rather than just buying lol

The rough plan (not fully detailed) is as follows:

The idea is to use for the main/front bearing double-row, angular contact ball bearing. The one I had laying around was 5204-2RS (OD 47.0 ID 20.0).
    They are supposed to be good enough for 8000rpm (10000rpm with oil ?) and in design correspond to two single row angular contact ball bearings.
    They can also accommodate axial loads acting in both directions.
    They are supposedly C3 axial internal clearance... ?

That's theory and we shall see ...

The plan is to use this head with ER16 collets and various grinding, polishing, cut-off wheels on mandrels of various diameters, and if turns out any good maybe in future for other things as well.

I made the housing out of lump of alu I had laying around (again if it turns out OK, next one might be made in steel).

Both front and rear bearing housing have been turned in one operation, so whatever the accuracy of my lathe, they should be concentric.
    And I have clocked side and bottom of the housing to make the spindle parallel to both (not needed for the particular application I have in mind for this head, but good exercise nevertheless).
    I have turned the front at 46.98 and fitted the bearing by warming the housing in the oven and freezing the bearing (in plastic back) in our freezer.
    It dropped in perfect and now is fixed solid and for life (I do not envisage ever having to take it out - it is sealed for life)

Rear bearing is simple 6203-2RS (OD 40.0 ID 17.0) radial deep grove ball bearing. I made the housing for it sliding fit and intend to secure it once assembled with Loctite.

Well, this is my cunning plan, and if it doesn't work, the loss will be minimal. In the meantime it is all good turning/milling exercise :whistling:

Chris

later edit:
    References to Loctiting rear bearing (highlighted in red in my original message) are clearly wrong and a result of my running in circles when thinking how to do the job. As rightly pointed out in the later message they rear bearing should be "floating".
    Please disregard
    Last edited by bambuko; 02-12-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: correction

Thread Information