. .
    Hi,

Can I ask - what are the best connectors for limit switches and steppers these days?

Surely not still DB9 :)

I should say this is for connection into a custom-built case to hold the driver electronics, PSUs etc...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanambrose View Post
    Hi,

Can I ask - what are the best connectors for limit switches and steppers these days?

Surely not still DB9 :)

I should say this is for connection into a custom-built case to hold the driver electronics, PSUs etc...

Alan
    I'm re-doing mine atm with shielded cables.
    20awg for step/dir signals.
    18awg from drivers to motors
    Ethernet for limits.

DB9 is prob the easiest for limits tbf.

"Best" is such a funny word. DB9 are cheap and cheerful, but I doubt many think they're best at anything. Possibly not ideal for steppers, though if only an amp or so, shouldn't be too bad, but solder-bucket type (rather than crimp) are likely to fracture over time. A lot of us use the GX16s or GX20s for steppers. Question is - what's your environment - if not damp (e.g. coolant, etc) then you don't need anything too exotic. Really useful, in a paradoxical sort of way if you can e.g. swap stepper axis over (i.e. like-connectors without unique keying) - for quickly checking motors/drivers when you have problems, arguably similar for limit switches. My own strategy at this time - 4-pin XLR for steppers (high current capacity, very cheap from CPC/Farnell) and DB9 for signalling (just because you can get 3M 1-1 cables made up for peanuts).

The best connector by far is NO connector, wire them direct to drives and controller. Every connector is a potential trouble area, If only I could get back the time for every bad solder joint or terminal I've chased I'd be 10yrs younger and still have a full head of hair.

So if you really don't need them my advice is don't use them and save some money and a lot of time.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    "Best" is such a funny word. DB9 are cheap and cheerful, but I doubt many think they're best at anything. Possibly not ideal for steppers, though if only an amp or so, shouldn't be too bad, but solder-bucket type (rather than crimp) are likely to fracture over time. A lot of us use the GX16s or GX20s for steppers. Question is - what's your environment - if not damp (e.g. coolant, etc) then you don't need anything too exotic. Really useful, in a paradoxical sort of way if you can e.g. swap stepper axis over (i.e. like-connectors without unique keying) - for quickly checking motors/drivers when you have problems, arguably similar for limit switches. My own strategy at this time - 4-pin XLR for steppers (high current capacity, very cheap from CPC/Farnell) and DB9 for signalling (just because you can get 3M 1-1 cables made up for peanuts).
    I'm using the GX20's between drives and motors, and so far so good.
    Ethernet for external signalling using small RJ45 modules at either end (they go into the control box through grommets).
    Everything else is going direct connection.

Thanks guys, in that case, I think I'm going to use the GX 'Aviation Connectors' for this one. Probably for both steppers & limits.

Ta, Alan

Thread Information