. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grantx View Post
    You are right. I dont know what I measured before....
    1 revolution gives 15mm travel on the Y axis (I havent measure the others)

When I tell it to move 100mm (G0 y100) it moves 150mm.

EDIT: Ok I remember how I measured it before. Using the auto-calibrate in Mach3 I get it to move 100 on the y-axis and it moves exactly that. It tells me the steps are 125, So that must be correct.

I dont know what that G0 y100 command is doing ...
    Ok well, 15mm isn't a common pitch size but they do exist. However still, things don't add up.?

The drives are set for 2000 micro-steps and your direct drive to the motors. 2000/15=133.333333 Steps Per mm.

If we work it backward just in case the drives dip switches are telling porky's then from the Mach3 Auto calibrate setting 125 steps per with 15mm pitch this would give a micro-step setting of 1875.? I've never seen drives that allow this setting and the manual doesn't show it either.?

So something isn't adding up here at all.

Regards the G0 y100 command then it will move to y100 coordinate position which doesn't mean it will necessarily move 100mm. If you Zero the DRO then it should move 100mm.
    To move a set amount without worrying about the coordinate location then you need to switch to incremental mode, try this next time.
    G91 G0 y100 and it will move the amount asked for from the current location. When finished type G90 to put back into absolute positioning mode.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I have recently purchased a CNC with the following configuration:
    2.2KW spindle.
    DM860A controllers
    KK01 interface board (from cnc4you.co.uk)
    34Nema motors.

Jogging the machine across the x or y axis sounds sweet. No problems. When I run a programme though it does certain moves and the whole thing sounds terrible, I made a video:
    https://youtu.be/aSbQEHxy5Uo

Does that sound normal to you?

I must also say that if I speed it up it almost eliminates that vibration noise but then it runs at a feed rate that would break bits.
    Sorry to hear you have joined the club, its not a good club to be in.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14563...-router-review

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andy_con For This Useful Post:

Andy, did you get this resolved? I got in touch with him yesterday and he said he will be sending out replacement upgraded controllers which have much smoother output. We shall see. I will update this thread if I receive the kit.

I have been looking at the AXBB-E controller with closed-loop servos. Obviously, in hindsight this is the right gear for the job but it is my fault for not putting enough research into this. I just have to make the most of the situation and get it sorted as best I can.

Andy, did you get this resolved? I got in touch with him yesterday and he said he will be sending out replacement upgraded controllers which have much smoother output. We shall see. I will update this thread if I receive the kit.
    Hi Grant, I know we have spoken and emailed so you know most of this but I'm saying what's below for the sake of others reading this.

It's not just as simple as swapping out the drives, motors and PSU also need to be factored into the equation.
    I would want to know the specs of the motors and the inductance ratings, etc because usually, it goes hand in hand that if used cheap drives they will have used cheap motors probably bought together as a kit.
    It's very common for Cheap NEMA 34 motors to have very high inductance which means more voltage is required to get any decent performance so just changing the drives won't always make much difference to performance.

Having a good machine is all about balance and how the components match up with each other and the machine in general regards ball screws etc.

BULLSHIT can baffle the unknowing or unweary so be very careful because you are about to walk into a minefield of BULLSHIT

I have been looking at the AXBB-E controller with closed-loop servos. Obviously, in hindsight this is the right gear for the job but it is my fault for not putting enough research into this. I just have to make the most of the situation and get it sorted as best I can.

Do you need to use more than 4 axis?.
    I know of another guy who has the AXBB-E. It is a good unit however.....
    If you want to use a 5th or 6th axis you need another breakout board to go into channel 3's non isolated IDC port.
    The optocouplers on the isolated channel 2 outputs aren't fast enough for pulsing by the looks of it.
    He got a UCSB board for chnl 3 and all is well.
    Other than that they're decent units.

I had the 'kit' type electronics on my mill and almost the whole lot has been replaced due to lack of performance.
    Went with the UC300eth, UCBB, and was going to switch to closed loop gear later on.
    Closed loop is a little misleading though so I'm hoping to eventually change to Lichuan servo's instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

BULLSHIT can baffle the unknowing or unweary so be very careful because you are about to walk into a minefield of BULLSHIT
    Don't forget the minefield of crap electronics out there too!.
    Even with stepperonline products you have to watch, they have good and bad. You really have to scutinise ALL the spec sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Do you need to use more than 4 axis?.
    I know of another guy who has the AXBB-E. It is a good unit however.....
    If you want to use a 5th or 6th axis you need another breakout board to go into channel 3's non isolated IDC port.
    The optocouplers on the isolated channel 2 outputs aren't fast enough for pulsing by the looks of it.
    He got a UCSB board for chnl 3 and all is well.
    Other than that they're decent units.
    The motion controller is exactly the same one as the UC300, the only difference is the I/O board of the AXBB-E only provides 4 Axis outputs with provision for 2 more using an external breakout board. Other than that the motion controller side and performance are exactly the same. The only reason really to use a UC300 over the AXBB-E is if you need more I/O for things like ATC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Closed loop is a little misleading though so I'm hoping to eventually change to Lichuan servo's instead.
    There is nothing misleading to the closed-loop stepper system, it does everything it says on the tin.? It's people misunderstanding the difference between steppers and servos which causes confusion.
    The loop is closed back to drive using the encoder for error checking just like a Servo works and if the error threshold is exceeded the drive faults.
    The BIG difference is in the power and performance of AC or DC Servo motors compared to Steppers, how they actually work regards closed loop is very very similar.

I only need the three axis. xyz.

Why do you say closed loop is misleading?

Hypothetically if I did need to upgrade, what would be a suitable setup? Now I do realise that the quality of cnc equipment lies on a very broad spectrum of quality standards and that there are unlimited combinations available, making my question nonsensical to seasoned veterans here. However.....in my situation where I will be cutting exclusively wood (soft and hard), possibly a few hours a day, on a sturdy metal frame with 15mm ball screws attached - what would a proper setup look like?

4 x Nema23 closed loop. (2 for X, 1 for Y, 1 for Z)
    AXBB-E controller with accompanying software.
    2 x Power supply ( 1 for X and 1 for Y and Z)
    Controllers (Do I need 1 for each motor drive?)

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The motion controller is exactly the same one as the UC300, the only difference is the I/O board of the AXBB-E only provides 4 Axis outputs with provision for 2 more using an external breakout board. Other than that the motion controller side and performance are exactly the same. The only reason really to use a UC300 over the AXBB-E is if you need more I/O for things like ATC, etc.
    That's the plan (If I can get the machine to fund it itself). I'd love to have a go at making an ATC just for the fun of it.
    Also. I prefer to have seperate components. Yes it can be a higher outlay but it's then cheaper to replace individual parts later on if one fails.

With closed loop..... I suppose it depends on what components you get. I've seen plenty of good/bad experiences over on cnczone. Mostly the HBS drivers.

I only need the three axis. xyz.

Why do you say closed loop is misleading?

Hypothetically if I did need to upgrade, what would be a suitable setup? Now I do realise that the quality of cnc equipment lies on a very broad spectrum of quality standards and that there are unlimited combinations available, making my question nonsensical to seasoned veterans here. However.....in my situation where I will be cutting exclusively wood (soft and hard), possibly a few hours a day, on a sturdy metal frame with 15mm ball screws attached - what would a proper setup look like?

4 x Nema23 closed loop. (2 for X, 1 for Y, 1 for Z)
    AXBB-E controller with accompanying software.
    2 x Power supply ( 1 for X and 1 for Y and Z)
    Controllers (Do I need 1 for each motor drive?)
    Ask JAZZCNC (Dean) about the Lichuan A86 drivers and 2102 motors he has if you're serious about closed loop.
    One of the best options in the u.k. atm afaic.
    You can hook those up directly to a 55vac toroidal power transformer for simplicity.
    The AXBB-E has enough outputs for 4 axis, spindle and ancilliaries straight out the box (3+ slave in your case).
    Initial outlay is a cost but..... you won't be constantly pratting about with a setup like this if you wire it correctly first time.

The documentation on the Lichuan is ok and I'm sure Dean will help you out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information