. .
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Parts, pretty little Signs, or great big honking signs, call them whatever you like they all have to start with lines and arc's so you can generate the G-code in CAM. How do you think you are going to generate the files for cutting if you are not going to use Cad or some Vector drawing software, which is basically a kind of Cad.?
    I know I keep saying it, but Easel is like many programmes I use, you drag and drop image's, choose cutters and routing depths, it generates all the codes and outputs it to the CNC.

Can someone do me a favour and have a look at it?

It's free for a month, has some restrictions, but still very usable

It's very intuitive I think and easy to use.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

These are the plates that i have been looking at - and if you click on the images for the product, it shows one of the many designs that these are based on

I need to check the difference between the MGN12 carriages and the HGR 20 carriages -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264458290...75.c101224.m-1

WoodKnot.
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post
    OK, I have read everything that has been said so far!

All the machines that I have seen, watched, use this profile, on wheels, no rails, many belt driven and they knock out some nice stuff.

I know that you have all said they flex, so how are they managing it. Many make 1500mm x 1000mm machines from this stuff!
    It's not that they can't do it and it's not that you can't make nice stuff on them. I've seen and know people who have built machines using threaded rods on a very flimsy frames which made some really nice stuff, but they took forever, snapped tools for fun because of chatter and vibrations, and for every 1 made 2 or 3 got scrapped. This soon gets NOT FUN and expensive.

I've said it many times but I'll repeat it for others to see.!
    These machines are great for learning but if you want to make accurate parts easily and repeatably without breaking tools and with minimal cleanup and frustrations they are not strong enough. The more detailed the work the more frustrating it will be, and this is why many that build or buy these kits only keep them a short period of time before building or buying better-made machines like what I build.
    I have sold machines to several people now who started with Shepoko or work bee's etc and they all said the same things regards snapping bits, poor finish, slow cutting, high maintenance, and frustrations, etc.
    All of them are blown away at the difference and didn't realize just how poor their old machines were until using a properly built machine.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-07-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Ok Jazz -

This looks like more time (a lot more time) and investment than I envisaged.

I think I am going to sell everything that i have purchased!

The sad thing is - i will lose probably half of what is has cost me to date.

I have purchased the power supply, motors, extrusion, rails & screws kits and enough nuts, bolts and fittings to make 3 probably.

Oh well!!

Also, with the learning of all the different elements, i will be an old man before i master it and i am already becoming an old man!

I wanted something as an add on, that's all - it just does not seem to be worth the effort and expense of what I will get out of it.

I am actually in a very fortunate position, being more than able to purchase one, probably several, but that is not the point. (My wife gets annoyed with how much i spend in the garage)

I wanted to build it, but I don't want it to take over my life for the next several months, or years for that matter!

Even just putting all the fiddly bits together so far has taken a good few evenings!

Jazz - I do respect your comments and as an engineer as well, as I meet enough in my work to appreciate someone who knows their eggs!

Yes, i know i will get frustrated, as I have OCD (so everyone tells me) and even now, what I create is never good enough as I am soooo, so self critical.

Yes, I ask questions and challenge and may appear 'stubborn' even? Nearly as bad as you!!

Anyway, thanks for the lesson -

A man who never tried will never learn!

Thanks to you and all the rest of you for your time, effort and patience.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Ok Jazz -

This looks like more time (a lot more time) and investment than I envisaged.
    This is exactly why we say do the research and check out other build threads so you get a feel for what's involved and can make this decision before spending money. It's also why we say DONT BUY ANYTHING until you have a clear plan and understand what your buying.!

I think I am going to sell everything that i have purchased!

The sad thing is - i will lose probably half of what is has cost me to date.

I have purchased the power supply, motors, extrusion, rails & screws kits and enough nuts, bolts and fittings to make 3 probably.

Oh well!!

Also, with the learning of all the different elements, i will be an old man before i master it and i am already becoming an old man!
    No, you are bloody not.!! . .. Told you NOT ON MY WATCH.
    Give me a few hours as I'm currently laying it out in CAD to find a workaround and I'll have you sorted out so can still use the parts you have already bought.
    We are cutting parts next week and I will shoehorn you some plates into the schedule somehow.

Regards learning CAD or CAM etc, it's just part of the process and when you dive in it's not that difficult (but it's not as simple as loading a picture and cut like you are thinking) however it's not rocket science.

Edit:

Forget the frame for now until we have a solution, Get on with the electrics, make the motors spin on the bench etc, it will cheer you up a bit and motivate again..
    (Don't let the magic smoke out)..

This is exactly why we say do the research and check out other build threads so you get a feel for what's involved and can make this decision before spending money. It's also why we say DONT BUY ANYTHING until you have a clear plan and understand what your buying.!

No, you are bloody not.!! . .. Told you NOT ON MY WATCH.
    Give me a few hours as I'm currently laying it out in CAD to find a workaround and I'll have you sorted out so can still use the parts you have already bought.
    We are cutting parts next week and I will shoehorn you some plates into the schedule somehow.

Regards learning CAD or CAM etc, it's just part of the process and when you dive in it's not that difficult (but it's not as simple as loading a picture and cut like you are thinking) however it's not rocket science.

Edit:

Forget the frame for now until we have a solution, Get on with the electrics, make the motors spin on the bench etc, it will cheer you up a bit and motivate again..
    (Don't let the magic smoke out)..
    I said that you were more stubborn than me!

OK, please don't kick the arse out of it for me -

The one thing that we learn (or should do) as we get older is patience?

Anyway, i have loads of jobs this weekend to catch up on and hopefully all on my new cap screws should arrive today, so i was going to get the linear rails on!

I noted that the sleeve that goes over the ball screw nut is exactly 40mm, so i was going to use these as way to get my rails parallel.

Yes, i have even loaded the CAD software and had a go!

I am in charge of many things in my role, including IT funnily enough.

My initial impressions is that it is not overly intuitive but it is free, so will persevere and watch some more videos on it.

Easel was easy and i was creating projects within 10 minutes that looked really good.

I will also pester A Camera as he uses it

Thank you Jazz! Top Man!

I hope that I am making life more interesting for you

WoodKnot
    Last edited by WoodKnot; 02-07-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Carpe Diem

I noted that the sleeve that goes over the ball screw nut is exactly 40mm, so i was going to use these as way to get my rails parallel.
    The 1605 nut sleeve I have is 40x40x52mm, that is true, but you need to use it right, which is the screw holes up, where it is 52mm wide. That is the minimum space you need to have between carriages, unless you come up with a different solution.

Yes, i have even loaded the CAD software and had a go!

I am in charge of many things in my role, including IT funnily enough.
    That's good news. Which one did you try FreeCAD?

My initial impressions is that it is not overly intuitive but it is free, so will persevere and watch some more videos on it.
    YouTube is full of instruction videos regarding FreeCAD and also the forum is full of useful help and advice. What I don't like is that there are several members who are very arrogant, especially towards newbies, so I never actually posted a question there and not want to be a member. I donate my money to them because I think it's a very good software so they are worth it, but I hate some of the active members because of their arrogance. In fact, I think they are just young teenager nerds, not the actual programmers. Similar to chess.com, where I am a member, some young studs are extremely arrogant, even if they are better than I am in chess, I don't like that.

Anyway, FreeCAD is not intuitive, but I have never seen a CAD software which is both capable AND intuitive. All requires some parameters to set up and the more complex things you design, the more it needs. My usual work flow is to start from a block and carve out the shape I want to make. changing the shapes is easy once you know how to do it, just change a few parameters and everything is adjusted, like it is shown in that video, where that guy models a huge 3D printer from scratch to real thing. OK, for him is easy, since he uses this sort of software on every day basis, but as Jazz says, it's not rocket science. Once you get over the first steep hill you will get going soon. The only tutorial video I ever made is this one:

I don't claim to be an expert, but a friend asked me for advice because he needed to create this shape but could not get it right, so I made this video to show him one possible way to do it. In FreeCAD some things can be done in many ways, there is no right or wrong, but he needed a quick help, so I showed him my quick way for this simple thing.

Easel was easy and i was creating projects within 10 minutes that looked really good.

I will also pester A Camera as he uses it
    I have never used Easel and probably never will. Never the less, even if it is easy to carve out something, you must still tell the software all the things about your machine. Even F-Engrave (100% free forever) is simple and can indeed carve out things for you from DXF or image files, but you must tell the software some things about your machine because it does not have any idea about your machine, tools, depths, speeds and so on. Also, if you carve an image file you must tell the size of the file, because a bitmap image is not containing real object data.

OK, please don't kick the arse out of it for me -
    Got sidetracked this afternoon so didn't get much done on it today and tomorrow I'm busy but on Sunday I'll come up with a model and a plan.

Post me pictures of the BK and BF end bearings please as there are 2 types that have different options for fastening.

Also not so important but will help me with making an accurate model knowing the size of the base profile. I have the C beam models.

Post me pictures of the BK and BF end bearings please as there are 2 types that have different options for fastening.

Also not so important but will help me with making an accurate model knowing the size of the base profile. I have the C beam models.
    Can't do this if you are not going to give me the info I asked for..

Sorry Jazz -

There was a lot going on over the weekend (no not football related) so apologies. It will have to be this evening now.

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information