. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    AFAIK some external motion controllers do not support axis slaving.

So it's not Mach.
    I am starting to think that maybe this board is one of those.
    I have checked and double checked the settings, and although I can get each axis to move independently I cannot get them to slave.
    I have added some images of my settings. The motors all work with these settings, but no slaving at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor outputs.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	30216

Name:	input signals.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	30217

Name:	slave axis.jpg 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	30218

Name:	hotkeys.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	30219

Name:	input signals.jpg 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	30217

Name:	softlimits.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	30220

It's common for external motion controllers to move these options into the plug-in so have you gone into the config plug-in settings.?

You will find this in Config Menu under Config plugins, then it opens another window showing all the installed plugins, click the yellow config button which relates to your board and it will open the plugin so you can change the settings.

Edit: Note, not all the plugins will open a settings window.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It's common for external motion controllers to move these options into the plug-in so have you gone into the config plug-in settings.?

You will find this in Config Menu under Config plugins, then it opens another window showing all the installed plugins, click the yellow config button which relates to your board and it will open the plugin so you can change the settings.

Edit: Note, not all the plugins will open a settings window.
    I have tried that Jazz, the plugin seems to be fixed and not editable. Nothing happens when clicking the yellow button.

Name:	plugin_config.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	30221

Quote Originally Posted by regpye View Post
    I have tried that Jazz, the plugin seems to be fixed and not editable. Nothing happens when clicking the yellow button.

Name:	plugin_config.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	30221
    Ok well you might be screwed then regards proper slaving, you could always just connect both drives to one motor output, it's not the correct way but will get you working. The downside is you can't home each side independent to square the gantry without getting creative.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok well you might be screwed then regards proper slaving, you could always just connect both drives to one motor output, it's not the correct way but will get you working. The downside is you can't home each side independent to square the gantry without getting creative.
    That was the whole reason for setting this system up. The machine was already working fine using GRBL, USB and no problems from the plasma. The only problem I had was that the gantry was so wide that it didn't stay square, so that is why i wanted to have Y and A slaved together for homing. I know that GRBL 1.1h also has slave options, but wanted a change from using UGCS.

I do have another board that has a parallel port, I might give that a try, maybe it has the same problem?

That was the whole reason for setting this system up. The machine was already working fine using GRBL, USB and no problems from the plasma. The only problem I had was that the gantry was so wide that it didn't stay square, so that is why i wanted to have Y and A slaved together for homing. I know that GRBL 1.1h also has slave options, but wanted a change from using UGCS.

I do have another board that has a parallel port, I might give that a try, maybe it has the same problem?
    Assuming there are ballscrews on either side of the gantry...... Could it be possible to redisgn it a little?.
    Put a timing pulley on the end of each screw, belt them together, mount a single stepper in the center.

Mind you. If considering spending on that, may as well just get a different controller!.

I bet a cheapo parallel card will end up working straight off the bat.

You have to watch what you buy when it comes to controllers. Most of these non brands are rip-offs from others and it's hit and miss, especially some of the usb ones.
    The biggest gripe I have is... Why do people still buy nvem / nvum??. Do they NOT read the forums or reviews, or do any research at all??.

Parallel cards are usually fine because the PC does the work and all they do is turn voltage on/off. But it all depends on how many outputs/inputs you need.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 11-07-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Assuming there are ballscrews on either side of the gantry...... Could it be possible to redisgn it a little?.
    Put a timing pulley on the end of each screw, belt them together, mount a single stepper in the center.

Mind you. If considering spending on that, may as well just get a different controller!.

I bet a cheapo parallel card will end up working straight off the bat.

You have to watch what you buy when it comes to controllers. Most of these non brands are rip-offs from others and it's hit and miss, especially some of the usb ones.
    The biggest gripe I have is... Why do people still buy nvem / nvum??. Do they NOT read the forums or reviews, or do any research at all??.

Parallel cards are usually fine because the PC does the work and all they do is turn voltage on/off. But it all depends on how many outputs/inputs you need.
    Ideally I would like to have 8 inputs if using Mach3. That way I could control the homing on a slaved axis, all the limits and also run 4 relays that would make the THC standalone work better. My 1500mm wide mill has ballscrews with stepped down belts and it works great. That machine is controlled with Estlcam and has a lot of spare inputs.

OK, I contacted the seller of this board and asked some questions and here is the answer.
    So now we all know that if you want this feature, DON'T GET THIS BOARD.

Name:	no slave support.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	30233

If you do go down the AXBB-E and UCCNC route then delivery to Australia from the supplier in Hungary is pretty quick via DHL. I bought one a few months back and it took 7 days to get from Hungary to Melbourne and another 7 days to get across the water to Devonport! It will allow auto-squaring of the gantry, I wrote about how to do it at the time.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14603...Squaring-UCCNC

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Ideally I would like to have 8 inputs if using Mach3. That way I could control the homing on a slaved axis, all the limits and also run 4 relays that would make the THC standalone work better. My 1500mm wide mill has ballscrews with stepped down belts and it works great. That machine is controlled with Estlcam and has a lot of spare inputs.
    If you prefer seperate equipment: UC400eth + 2 of whatever bboards you desire/prefer. 24out/10in
    Go all out with the UC300eth Max from cncroom: (uc300+ ub1 + ud1 + license). Around 36out/49in.
    If prefer all in one type: The AXBB-E. 16out/6in. Has port3 standard LPT for a further 12out/5in (use IDC26-DB25 cable with cheap bob).

Gives you options of using Mach3 / 4 or UCCNC.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information