. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone I'm Dave from South Wales.

I'm a newbie to all this DIY CNC and have really enjoyed reading some great topics on the forum.
    So thank you for sharing all this information.

I'm looking to get a water cooled spindle for my CNC router, I have a trim router at the moment so looking to keep the weight down so won't be looking at the more common from what iv seen 2.2kw etc.

I'm guessing most of these spindles don't make what the claimed specs are ?

For what I do I think I might be ok with a 0.8kw but leaning towards the 1.5kw to be in the same side, my mkita rt0700 I believe is fine powder wise but I would like to control the spindle with mcode.

I really don't enjoy the noise at the moment which is very unsociable 😔

After reading some great topics I have decided on the vfd below. Hopefully iv selected a decent one but any input would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7A-Huanya...-127635-2958-0

I have seen there are loads of options with spindles and price but is there a better supplier I should go with ?

I'm guessing it's just hit or miss with the quality of the balltrack honing and Im not sure I believe they are using imported German bearings as iv read on some of the adverts. They certainly won't be Gmn quality 😉

Spindles iv looked at and don't really know what to do with are below.
    I'm hopeful the experience on here could point me in the right direction please 😊

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VEVOR-Wat...-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-1-5KW...-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800W-0-8K...-127637-2357-0

What do all you guys think ?

The first thing you should know and determine is that these spindles are quite heavy so you need to know your Z-axis can handle the weight.?

Next, most of these smaller KW 65mm spindles use ER11 collets which limit you to about a 7mm shank size, can you live with that, or do you need large tool sizes.? If so you will be better with the larger 2.2Kw versions which use ER20 provided the z-axis can handle the weight. ER20 will allow collets from 1 to 13mm.

You can get some of the 80mm 1.5Kw spindles with ER16 collets which have a range of 1 to 9mm but these weigh only slightly less than the 2.2Kw and cost only slightly less so are not worth the difference IMO.

Finally, does your controller/breakout board have a provision to control the spindle speed and on/off.?
    If not then you can't use M codes to control the speed, you can use an Output if you have one spare to control a relay which in turn can be used for On/Off but if your controller/breakout board doesn't have 0-10v analog or PWM speed controller then you won't be able to control the RPM from software. You could use a serial/Modbus communication depending on the control software but that requires a serial to Modbus converter and software plug-in plus a little knowledge on how to set it up in the VFD/software.

Regards buying then I can't point you to a supplier of the smaller spindles but I can supply the Huanyang 2.2Kw WC spindle and VFD which we fit on the machines we build.
    I have fit literally 100's of these so you can rest assured they are reliable and accurate otherwise I wouldn't use them.

These come as a set, both the 2.2Kw spindle and VFD are made by Huanyang, the set includes a 1 to 13mm collet set, 80mm spindle mount with bolts, water pump, and pipes. The only thing required is a container of water for the pump. £275 + postage.
    I would also include my phone number for support and help with wiring, VFD settings, etc if needed.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the reply Jazz,

my main guiding factors have been that my current spindle is around 3kgs so I wanted to keep the weight down to a similar weight as I have seen the bigger spindles are pretty heavy.

how heavy are the spindles you have ?

also never really felt that my current spindle is under powered, like you said it would be nice to run bigger tooling but not a must. if any thing id rather have a lower speed range as I'm not used to all this high speed, it scares me a little tbh

yes I'm pretty confident that my board can control the spindle, I might need some help with the wiring but I have a mate who is a spark who works in the automotive industry so I hope he can help me out.
    I will try and do most of this myself as I enjoy the learning so if any one has any good examples of control circuit that would be amazing
    I believe my board is a Reprap duet 2 so I think I will need a PWM speed controller and some relays, I also want to E-stop the system while I'm at it.

I bought a SuperPID speed controller and didn't fit it to control my Kress router as I had to modify the router to take out the inboard speed controller and fit the optical rpm feedback.
    I finally got to do it when the first set of brushes went.

I wish I had done it sooner.

Speed is now controlled by Mach3 via PWM and the Kress runs much quieter. Also the lower speeds (still at full power) make better cuts.

http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
    Thank you for the reply Jazz,

my main guiding factors have been that my current spindle is around 3kgs so I wanted to keep the weight down to a similar weight as I have seen the bigger spindles are pretty heavy.

how heavy are the spindles you have ?
    I would have to weigh them but would estimate around 5Kg with a spindle mount.

Good guess Jazzy, 5.3Kg without the mount. I couldn't get a mount to weigh as it is on my mezzanine storage area and my legs are bad at the moment.

What CNC machine do you currently have? Do you have pictures if home made, or was it a commercial product you bought?

A few more kg on the spindle is not a problem for most DIY machines, and in fact helps with cut quality. Also, unless the stepper motor is very small (maybe off a 3D printer) the leadscrew gives so much mechanical advantage that it will usually lift it up no problem.

Also, what do you want to machine with it ? This will all help with spindle recommendations.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thanks again for all the replies everyone ��

The CNC I have is a workbee with aluminium extrusion, it came as a kit form and I built it up.
    It's not the most rigid of machines that's why I am cautious about getting such a heavy spindle.

Am I correct in thinking a 2.2kw is close to 3hp ?

Materials I have been working with so far have been wood, mild steel and nylon.
    I do have some plans to have a go at some carbon fibre and aluminium in the future.

Maybe I should be looking to upgrade other parts of the machine before I get a spindle like the z axis in preparation for a 5kg spindle.

Am I correct in thinking a 2.2kw is close to 3hp ?
    I think 1hp equates to 770 watts. So roughly speaking - yes.

The CNC I have is a workbee with aluminium extrusion, it came as a kit form and I built it up.
    It's not the most rigid of machines that's why I am cautious about getting such a heavy spindle.
    In that case, I wouldn't go with the 2.2Kw without beefing up the Z-axis first, it just wouldn't handle the cutting forces well enough and end up breaking tools from vibrations or getting worse quality finishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information