. .
    Hi guys,

I'm totally new to the CNC scene... if you've not read my new member post, feel free to say Hi!

Can anyone give me a brief overview of how CNC actually works?

I'm not taking about how the machine technically operates but how you go from loading a piece of material into the machine to taking it out after the machine has done it's thing.

For example... I've got a 300mm x 300mm piece wood (any wood?) In my machine and I want to carve 'TOM' into it.

How does it do that? As the machine operator, what do I need to do (explained in a beginner friendly way) to make the machine do that?

What software do I need? What tooling would I need? What skills do I need?

I appreciate this is probably a massively open ended question but I'm trying to learn from the ground up with basically no knowledge - I've never even seen a CNC machine operating before.

If anyone would care to take the time to explain a simple step by step thats easy for a total beginner to understand, that would be massively appreciated.

Tom

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypk View Post
    If anyone would care to take the time to explain a simple step by step thats easy for a total beginner to understand, that would be massively appreciated.

Tom
    Tom, I can do better than explain if you are prepared for a drive down the M180 to Goole and have a day to spare.
    I will teach you from start to finish how to go from idea to finished part then cut the part.

This will show you just how easy operating the machine is and the whole process and software which are involved.

If this interests you then you have my email just get in touch and we will arrange it.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thanks, Dean. That is a mighty generous offer and one I would very much like to, at some point in the near future, take you up on.

Another question I have, is about how people who don't have industrial work units usually house these machines? Would you say a purpose built "shed" in the garden would be suitable for something like this or are these types of machines better suited to a heated/climate controlled work area?

Finally, if a well built shed is capable of housing a CNC machine, what sort of shed size would you need to house say, a 1x1m machine which would allow you ample size to move around and operate the machine safely?

Most of my 6m x 6m garage space is taken by other (not most efficiently placed) equipment but if I did rearrange it to eek the most of the space out of it, i may just be able to fit a machine in there.

Tom.

Another question I have, is about how people who don't have industrial work units usually house these machines? Would you say a purpose built "shed" in the garden would be suitable for something like this or are these types of machines better suited to a heated/climate controlled work area?
    Nothing special is required other than it's dry. I have installed literally dozens of machines in standard 8 x 4 Garden sheds and twice as many in purpose-built sheds.
    If the building is damp then a dehumidifier would be recommended if the machine is stood for any length of time.

Finally, if a well built shed is capable of housing a CNC machine, what sort of shed size would you need to house say, a 1x1m machine which would allow you ample size to move around and operate the machine safely?
    Only you can really decide how much access you want around the machine, but at a minimum, you only really need to access the front so, in theory, you could have a shed 1.1mtr x 2mtr and still access the machine safely.
    Often in confined spaces then the machine will go in a corner and you would access it from the front and one side but this does depend slightly on machine design. For instance, the JZR machines I build have relatively high sides which limit access from the sides, so they are mostly accessed from the front or rear but mostly the front. The one in the picture below was in a steel container that was under 2mtr wide and as you can see mostly accessed from the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chain.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	761.4 KB 
ID:	30334
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information