. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all.
    I’m interested in CNC for woodwork and would like eventually to build my own CNC. I have built and programmed (as a proof of concept only) a router lift but I really would like to get involved with CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    Hi all.
    I’m interested in CNC for woodwork and would like eventually to build my own CNC. I have built and programmed (as a proof of concept only) a router lift but I really would like to get involved with CNC.
    Welcome Peter!

What's a router lift? Sounds like something we'd be interested in!

Thanks for the welcome.
    I have a router table and I wanted to automate setting the bit height to get accuracy. I also wanted to be able to quickly zero a new bit to the top of the table, This was over 3 years ago. Later I found out about grbl which would have done it for me but it was a learning experience so the time wasn’t wasted.
    Here’s a link to a short video I shot.

https://youtu.be/-KZDtdFxnF0

Welcome Lappa. Nice to add another Aussie to the membership.

That router lift is a neat idea. I just happen to have some spare NEMA17 motors, drivers, ACME leadscrews, Arduinos, microswitches etc. lying around doing nothing.

Oh, no! Another project added to the 'this year, next year, sometime, never' list

Lockdown is a perfect time to sit down and read all the build logs for inspiration.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Plenty of time in Lockdown pending I fear - another 3 months I reckon

I’m looking at purchasing a CNC to keep me busy. You being from OZ, have you got any suggestions from our market?

Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    Plenty of time in Lockdown pending I fear - another 3 months I reckon

I’m looking at purchasing a CNC to keep me busy. You being from OZ, have you got any suggestions from our market?
    Things do look bad on the mainland, you have my sympathy. I'm in Tasmania which has been something of a safe haven so far, but it can only be a matter of time before Delta breaks out over here as well.

I know nothing about the market for commercially available machines in Australia. I designed and built my own machine from RHS steel using mechanical components bought online from China. Most of the machines you can buy for hobby money appear to be rather too flimsy for serious work. Unfortunately we do not have "JazzCNC Australia" as yet.

The first thing you need to do is decide what you want to make. How big a machine do you NEED (not the same as what you WANT) and what materials are you going to cut? If you just want to make decorative signs and carvings from wood then you can get away with something less substantial and precise than a machine that will accurately cut aluminium components that will fit closely together.

Kit
    Last edited by Kitwn; 17-08-2021 at 12:54 AM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Greetings Pete, great to see another from Sydney.

Thanks for the welcome

A friend of mine told me today that he has ordered an Axiom machine from Carbatec. It looks the business and Carbatec will deliver and install the machine for him. A snip at AUD$15000.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/axiom-ar...m-working-area

Kit

There’s a guy on a forum I visit that’s just bought one and another guy that bought in an Avid unit from the US. Too much money for me. I’m more of a hobby user rather than using one to help make a living from. I was looking at a Workbee or the upgraded unit, the Queenbee which is about $1200 dearer.
    I’d love to build one from scratch but it’s probably cheaper buying a kit and assembling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information