. .
    As title says what version of solidworks do people still use still?

I stopped using SW when I changed jobs and couldn't access it any more. I then used it for a couple more years when my son and daughter each had the Student licences. However, that was a fraught time, as the Student version was very buggy (endless crashes) and they point blank refused to offer any kind of support. They prefer to be paid to get the product they have sold you working, on top of the sale price. This model also seems to encourage poor software quality - why do good coding when you can charge the customer to test it for you, then charge for "updates"?

I believe you can get a free copy of SW if you are a student or veteran or similar but on the basis of my experience, I wouldn't want to go there. Solid Edge (Siemens) offers a free, perpetual licence for non-commercial users and of course OnShape and Fusion are free for such users. I use Fusion myself, as it (currently) comes with free CAM as well. I'd stick with that myself unless (until?) they stop the free CAM, then move on. For CAD only, personally I'd go for Solid Edge or OnShape if you don't need CAM. There's no right or wrong answer, BTW....

Thread Information