. .
    Hi everyone I'm looking for a bit of advice on spindle kw ratings and the impact of using a spindle with a lower rating. I currently have a hsd es919 on my 1980's thermwood and I'm looking for a spare too help me sleep at night. I've found one but the details are slightly different and I was hoping someone might be able to explain whether this would be a problem. The long dusty image is my current spindle
    Thanks for looking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210904-085027~2.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	30421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200602_102426~2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	30422

It will only be a problem if you are using the full power of the spindle you have now, which I very much doubt you will be unless using very large tooling. As a spare, it will be perfectly fine.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It will only be a problem if you are using the full power of the spindle you have now, which I very much doubt you will be unless using very large tooling. As a spare, it will be perfectly fine.
    Thanks for getting in touch

Would you happen to know if these spindles are plug and play? Or do they require a software rejig/update.

Also on terms of using full power is there a way of monitoring the power being used? I'm sure I don't use anything like full power as I'm not pushing the machine hard. Max 18mm MDF in one pass with an 8mm diameter cutter or maybe 12 birch plywood with the same.

Thanks

They won't require software or a plugin etc but you might need to change a few parameters in the VFD which control the spindle. However, I think they are close enough in the spec that it would just work without any parameter changes. Even if it did need them it's a simple thing to do.

Regards monitoring the load then this could easily be done using the Analog Output from the VFD connected to a load meter.
    But with 8Kw or even 6.5Kw, you won't be getting near the max load with an 8mm tool in MDF @18mm DOC and even if you hit a hard spot the spindle would handle a short amount of overload before it shut down.

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to fit that spindle or keep it as a spare.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information