. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Alan.

For the hardlines I used the 15mm John Guest Speedfit tubing and fittings. It works the same as the plumbing but is made of blue nylon tube with black fittings.
    Super easy to install.
    I have a couple of moisture trap regulators on some bits and some unregulated ones. All outlets are pcl xf female.
    It is not the cheapest but it is easy to fit and adapt later if you need to.

Ollie

OK ta, I may just copy that :)

Alan

OK Ollie, I promise this will be my last question..

Have you found any source or short hoses or a way to make your own. I mean from the outlet to the machine? I see in the US they can buy some hand crimps and use ferrules, but I can't see any such here except for £1K crimping machines?

TIA, Alan.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Airline hose of whatever variety you prefer.
    Reinforced clear stuff is OK, but oils will cause it to eventually go brittle/weaken, and daylight can cause it to perish. Typical black rubber hose is more durable, but needs more clamping force. There are more fancy hose types, but not really worth it unless you have money to burn to make things look pretty.

Pigtail fittings. They should be a tight(ish) fit in the hose. If they drop in to the hose with little effort, they're too small. They should take a bit of effort to push into the hose. If they simply drop in, you're to struggle getting the crimp tight enough to stay on and seal.

Oetiker/O/Ear clips.
    Exact name depends on supplier, but a search for Oetiker clip, will show up the basic one with two opposing crimp points, or the slighter more complex one with a single crimp point.
    The banded type with the single crimp point do provide a better crimp, as they avoid the hose bunching up under the crimp point(s).
    You need whatever size is a tight fit before crimping. If the clip is rattling around on the hose before crimping, it'll likely not crimp tight enough, and quickly/eventually blow off, depending on exactly how loose the crimp is.
    You can use generic hose clips, but they're a pain on hoses you're handling regularly, as they nearly always catch your hands.

Oetiker crimp pliers. They can be done with generic side cutters, but they're not ideal as they don't crimp parallel. A set of end cutting pliers/pincers work, but you don't want a set that are too sharp.

Off course, the other option are proper hose swage crimps, but then you're into needing a proper swaging machine with suitable dies.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by alanambrose View Post
    OK Ollie, I promise this will be my last question..

Have you found any source or short hoses or a way to make your own. I mean from the outlet to the machine? I see in the US they can buy some hand crimps and use ferrules, but I can't see any such here except for £1K crimping machines?

TIA, Alan.
    I bought a 25 meter roll of the rubber hose with internal 10mm bore. I used some plastic trimming shears to cut the hose cleanly.
    Then I used the pigtail type fittings and some small jubilee clips and made up several short hoses.
    The hose has 2 threaded ends so this saved 2 fixings as the female quick connects screwed straight on.
    No fancy stuff required.

Ollie

For anyone else following along, I found that these guys:

https://www.wfsupplies.co.uk/

( work_force_supplies_ltd on eBay )

- would make me up some custom hoses with properly crimped ends and 1/4 BSP male fittings on each end.

Also, I ordered some manifolds from Ali:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000575811571.html

These are for the inevitable lines required for compressor -> manifold near mill -> multiple air tools near/on mill. I'm leaving the hard line set-up for another day. At that time I'll place manifolds in another couple of places in the workshop with a similar set-up. Also, I plan to use 24V AirTac solenoid valves for simple CNC control of the fogbuster etc.

Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information