. .

Thread: Another newbie!

Hello :wave:
    I'm new to the forum and also new to machining.
    I've long admired the precision and attention to detail required in metal milling and turning. I have also had a lifelong interest in electronics so CNC is a happy marriage of both! Having recently retired I now have the opportunity to try my best.
    Being retired also means having to to work carefully with available cash, making do with what's available and scrounging for the rest.
    I've taken the plunge and started small with a 3-axis router intended for producing PC boards, of which there'll many! So far I've constructed the x and y sliders and will be starting the static gantry for the z-axis when the weather improves (unheated shed!).
    On the electrical side I've an H-bridge completed and acquired stepper motors from scrapped heavy duty printers. I intend eventually to have a portable router controlled by a microcontroller to which gcode will be uploaded by SD card.
    If anyone has gone down this route I'd sorely appreciate pointers and how to avoid pitfalls.
    I look forward to meeting you all, and compliments of the season.
    Best wishes,
    Martin.

2. Quote Originally Posted by margrove View Post
    Hello :wave:
    I'm new to the forum and also new to machining.
    I've long admired the precision and attention to detail required in metal milling and turning. I have also had a lifelong interest in electronics so CNC is a happy marriage of both! Having recently retired I now have the opportunity to try my best.
    Being retired also means having to to work carefully with available cash, making do with what's available and scrounging for the rest.
    I've taken the plunge and started small with a 3-axis router intended for producing PC boards, of which there'll many! So far I've constructed the x and y sliders and will be starting the static gantry for the z-axis when the weather improves (unheated shed!).
    On the electrical side I've an H-bridge completed and acquired stepper motors from scrapped heavy duty printers. I intend eventually to have a portable router controlled by a microcontroller to which gcode will be uploaded by SD card.
    If anyone has gone down this route I'd sorely appreciate pointers and how to avoid pitfalls.
    I look forward to meeting you all, and compliments of the season.
    Best wishes,
    Martin.

Welcome Martin,

if you haven't already, please start a build log in the DIY machines section and, dont forget, we just LOVE pictures, lots of 'em...

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hi Martin, welcome to the site. That sounds like an intesting project, ditto on the build log and pic's.

Me too.....welcome !

Thread Information