. .
    Hi to all,

I need to cut a 1.7mm stainlees sheet. I have a router (25mm ballscrew on all axes, fogbuster, uccnc 300 eth) with a 2.2 kw spindle with a mechatron changer. I cant cut that with my spindle (not enought torque at lower speeds) and I was thinking to replace the 2.2kw water cooled spindle with a servo. What do you think? Is doable? What kind of servos should I look for? Anybody done that?

Thank you
    Gabi
    Last edited by gabi68; 22-09-2021 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabi68 View Post
    Hi to all,

I need to cut a 1.7mm stainlees sheet. I have a router (25mm ballscrew on all axes, fogbuster, uccnc 300 eth) with a 2.2 kw spindle with a mechatron changer. I cant cut that with my spindle (not enought torque at lower speeds) and I was thinking to replace the 2.2kw water cooled spindle with a servo. What do you think? Is doable? What kind of servos whould I look for? Anybody done that?

Thank you
    Gabi
    Can't you try doing it with lots of reallly shallow depth cuts at reasonable speed with small size carbide cutter?.
    Then final full depth tiny edge skim.

The lack of torque can't be much worse than the spindle on a sieg x2 mill!!!!!.

I can cut it, but is not feasible because ii is taking long time (aka forever). All because of the high RPM's on the spindle. If I do 0.1mm per pass all is good except TIME. I was thinking maybe somebody has a better approach in terms of tooling, speeds and speeds. Did you try that on your Sieg? If so what tooling did you use? Speeds, feeds? TIA

Anybody ...

Wouldn't a plasma cutter be the way to go ??
    Cheers
    Andrew

To be honest an 1KW fiber laser will be to right tool for this, but I only have a 50 watt one and the router. Having said that, any other adivices using the router with diffrent tooling, speeds and feeds or maybe a different spindle will be great. Any insights regarding using a servo to replace the spindle.

What you need is a 4 pole constant torque spindle. These give high torque at low rpm and will cut steel no problem.

We recently started stocking and selling various spindles types from Large ATC spindles down to Constant torque manual tool change spindles. We always test products before committing to stock or use to ensure they are up to the job. So we fit a 4 pole 2.2Kw 24Krpm ER20 water-cooled Constant torque spindle with Ceramic bearings on our own router for testing with a view to offering it as an upgrade from the standard 2.2Kw WC spindles we fit on the machines we build and sell and I must say the power of these spindles has blown me away.

We mostly cut aluminum on this router, which in all honesty is a battered and abused hybrid of a machine that I wouldn't dare show to anyone and this spindle has transformed the machine into a monster that munches aluminum like it's cutting butter.
    We have increased the DOC to more than double what the standard 2.2Kw could handle and feed by 50% and getting better tool life because now we can actually cut at recommend tool parameters.

The very first thing we did was cut some mild steel at 5000rpm with an 8mm4F tool @ 2.5DOC which it did without complaint, we always watch the Amps when cutting and they hardly changed and were less than half the rated amps.

The spindles we supply are high quality with GMN Ceramic bearings, balanced rotors using quality wire in the windings with very low runout and quality balanced collet nuts.
    Now the downside is they are not cheap at £700 but you get what you pay for, however, these are not the typical spindles you see on eBay or Aliexpress and are made to order. We even have a 40Krpm version.!

Forget the Servo idea unless you have a cartridge-type spindle-like that is fit on milling machines. Just too many obstacles to overcome on a router.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi Jazz,

I was hoping to chime in. The ATC I have is a Mechatron STC 80. I dont know if that will fit like cartridge-type-spindle. Can you send me some prices for 2.2kw 400Hz, privately?

Thank you
    Gabi

Thread Information