. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. I am trying to build a CNC miller and I am OK with designing the electronics but I have limited machine tools and experience with the mechanical side. So I decided to get all the mechanical parts from MDL.

It proved to be a frustrating experience, they don't answer emails most of the time and don't do what you ask them. You arrange to send components back for them to re machine and then they don't collect it from the post office and it gets returned to you three months later.

To make matters worst the machine received a knock in transportation which I believe might have damaged things but I don't know what sort of quality to expect, that is, what is damage and what is just bad workmanship.

The X axis is very stiff so I stripped it down to the lead screw and I think it is bent. I have put a movie of me turning it by hand on the web. [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/8106162"]Screw thread on Vimeo[/ame]
    You can see the end wobble. My question is:-
    Is this what you expect from a lead screw like this or is it damaged. If you can get better ones who to get it from as I said MDL don't answer emails and that includes requests to buy stuff from them. I can't just get a raw lead screw as I don't have access to a lathe. It makes the x axis very stiff to turn.

The other axis are also stiff in different ways, the Z axis gets stiff at the same point every revolution and the Y axis gets stiffer towards the end. When I say stiff I mean I can only just turn it by hand by gripping on both sides of the lead screw. Trying to turn the shaft (6mm) is just a no go. Hits on reassembly of this to correct this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by Grumpy Mike; 11-12-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Thread Information