. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

I've inherited a OpenBuillds platemaker without full information and it's got a spindle I was hoping someone might recognise it, though appreciate it may too to generic. All this is way beyond warranty and wouldn't know who to contact anyway.
    The only markings on the spindle are 220V 2.2KW and just wondered if anyone recognised it, I believe it to an ER20 collet but can measure again over the next days.
    The VFD is/ was a HY02D223B

Photos on https://imgur.com/a/hsJu3nA

What happened
    • Has been working fine for a good while/ not a new install
    • A loud pop which blew the breakers upon activating the spindle
    • Disconnected the spindle and just powered the VFD and there was a smell/ smoke.
    • Tracked it down, we think, to the green resistor shown but don't know the cause.

Questions please
    • I'm presuming it's a replacement but love to know if anyone has any fixes obviously. I'm in the UK in case anyone repairs them. Have electronics people to help if need be.
    • What I don't necessarily understand yet is whether I need more information on the spindle to program the VFD, if I was able to track down a like for like replacement? We don't have those settings saved and will read through the manual for anything obvious.
    • Also whether I'm just looking for a 2.2KW VFD, or if there are other considerations when buying a new one please.

Bonus questions:
    • It's obviously a water cooled spindle but has been running on air- would be good to confirm that's just an option, rather than a necessity. Doesn't seem to get hot to the touch for what it's doing (mainly wood at present)

Thanks in advance for any help

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Resistor failing is more likely to a symptom, rather than the cause.

Replacement VFD is the cheapest option. Chances are some of the internal drive mosfets/scrs/whatever they use will have blown, possibly along with drive circuitry, so unless you have lots of time to spend trying to diagnose/test, a new VFD is the path of least resistance.

I'd check wiring to the spindle, for internal breaks. I'd also measure the three phases/coils of the spindle, and check they're all similar resistance. Also test each pin to earth, in case the spindle has shorted internally.
    Not using water may have caused the spindle to overheat, damaging the internals. If you have access to a megger/insulation tester, it would be worth testing each coil against the earth pin, and spindle body for any insulation failures.

I'd suggest replacing the wiring with some proper shielded cable, as that just looks like standard flex, which may be the source of the failure, as it won't withstand regular flexing like a CNC spindle does.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks for coming back so quickly

That very much marries with some other advice I've had and I'll certainly get down to test it but am resigned to a new VFD now, though keen to do those tests to make sure we don't blow it straight away

It's for a makerspace which doesn't have much money (pound in the pot) so I'll defintely come back to ask for suggestions for a VFD/ UK suppliers - very conscious of buy cheap buy twice as well.

Though, if running that one without water is a problem (if it's good) then I'll have to change that anyway and will look for something smaller

I'll test the resistances of the windings. May know where to borrow a megger and will report back once I've learned to use it

Thanks again. Can't tell you how helpful it is as out of my depth here.

The green resistor will actually be a Thermister which is part of the Inrush circuit, It's a common component that fails on these drives. I believe it's an easy and cheap repair for someone with electronics skills but can't help much more than that.

If you get it going then the settings are easy enough to enter back in, just post again if getting working and I'll give you the mains which will get you working.

Regards the water, then if you run them for short periods at lower speeds they will run for 30+ mins without too much trouble, run at higher speeds and you'll need water to cool.
    Don't need anything fancy, just a simple pump in a bucket of water will work fine.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Jazz, that looks like a standard wire wound resistor.
    I'd guess it's the residual charge drain capacitor, or possibly the over-voltage dump resistor. I'm also wondering if the relay next to it, is part of the same circuit.

The blue discs near the main terminals are more like thermistors, but capacitors also come in that kind of package.

If it was the residual charge drain, I wouldn't expect it to stop the spindle if it had gone pop, which is why I'm wondering if that relay next to it is related, because if the relay had failed, it may cause the resistor to have been connected for longer than it should be.
    If it was for over-voltage, a wiring fault to the spindle might have caused a voltage spike, and caused it to fail.

Although, I'm wondering how the VFD is being controlled. The high-voltage wiring leaves a lot to be desired, so is the VFD being controlled via the control panel/low voltage terminals, or is it continually being power cycled via the mains input?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Jazz, that looks like a standard wire wound resistor.
    To be honest M_C I didn't notice the pictures, I'm just going off experience from having one fail on me and knowing a couple of others who had the same failure. Those were the round-type Thermistors and they did stop the VFD from starting. But to be honest, this was quite a long time ago now, at least 6 yrs ago and the newer Huanyang VFDs we fit now are much better made and those pics do look different from the one which blew on me so you could very well be correct.
    Also, I haven't had an Huanyang VFD go faulty now for at least 4yrs and I've fit over 40 sets just in the last 12 months and probably 200+ in the last 5yrs, so I'd say they are fairly reliable now.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    That relay will short out the inrush limiting resistor once the big DC bus caps have been charged and the internal PSU comes up. As m_c says, it's more likely to be a symptom rather than the cause. If you manage to replace the green resistor, I'm pretty certain you will simply roast it again.

I think the question is whether you replace the HY inverter with a similar one or spend a bit more for an industrial drive - Jazz is recommending a new HY one.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    I think the question is whether you replace the HY inverter with a similar one or spend a bit more for an industrial drive - Jazz is recommending a new HY one.
    No, I'm not.!! . . . Where did I say that.?

I just said the ones we fit now are very reliable which is the truth, I've probably had 2 or 3 go faulty in 6yrs, that last one being near 5yrs old and used every day in a commercial woodshop which isn't bad going for supposedly Cheap drive . . . I've also had an ABB go down in that time as well so buying industrial or quality isn't always a guarantee of reliability..

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    When I read "I haven't had an Huanyang VFD go faulty now for at least 4yrs and I've fit over 40 sets just in the last 12 months and probably 200+ in the last 5yrs, so I'd say they are fairly reliable now", that sounds like a "recommendation" to me but perhaps I misread that.

It doesn't bother me either way but based on your experience, I'd replace the old HY with a modern one. No offence meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    When I read "I haven't had an Huanyang VFD go faulty now for at least 4yrs and I've fit over 40 sets just in the last 12 months and probably 200+ in the last 5yrs, so I'd say they are fairly reliable now", that sounds like a "recommendation" to me but perhaps I misread that.

It doesn't bother me either way but based on your experience, I'd replace the old HY with a modern one. No offence meant!
    No, it was a statement based on my experience and a fact!. .No offence was taken at all.

Whether to replace with a New HY or spend probably 3 to 4 times on a more industrial or "named brand" is a personal choice I suppose.?

But here is what I say to my smaller business customers who might show concerns regards the Chinese Spindles which we fit (that come with HY VFD's.) but don't have the budget for brand name spindles like HSD that cost 10 to 20 x the price or where downtime is an important factor.

Just buy a spare and put it on a shelf if you are concerned because it's still at least a factor of 10 cheaper .?

The 2.2Kw spindle with VFD costs less than £300, where a brand name like HSD the spindle alone would cost 10 x that which means it's not feasible to have a spare for a small business.
    This way your downtime if it did happen is less than 1 hour, not days or weeks. BUT . . .Worst case if they don't want to invest in a spare then because we are fitting them all the time we always have them on Stock so worst case your downtime is 1 to 2 days, not weeks.

That said I have at least 6 customers who have done this and to my knowledge, they are still sat on the shelf and some are over 5yrs old now which says a lot.
    Cheap doesn't always mean rubbish!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-10-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information