. .
    Hi

I’m a wannabe CNCer (I’m a furniture and cabinet maker working manually at moment)

Looking to spend about £3k on a Chinese cnc. I know it’s risky but I’m happy to give it a go.

What is a dream spec? There are aggregate, 4 axis, rotary etc. Some have numerical controller some seem to be PC.

I want a machine that can grow with me. I make a lot of Georgian style pieces so mouldings would be good etc.

I also make wardrobes using Festool dominos. Drilling the holes takes ages, so a machine that can do top and side holes would be awesome. I don’t know about the practicality of side drilling machines though.

Thoughts appreciated. I’d be happy to have someone for an hour or twos consultancy not expecting a freebie of info. I just don’t know anyone!

Not entirely a realistic budget for a machine like this, unfortunately. About 4-5 years ago, a friend of mine who runs a small business making engraved signs bought a 600x900 machine from Acctek. At least a brand rather than a generic machine. Reasonably built from cast iron, etc. Still at the level where you could see that some holes had been drilled by hand; one of the targets for a limit switch was not even a bolt but a broken tap (although it did have a locknut - which had come undone). That's just to give some idea of the level of quality. It's being doing its job since then, though.

That cost around £3K delivered in UK. Prices have gone up considerably since then, and we are talking about a much smaller machine than you would like. I wish you luck, but unless you stumble across a second-hand machine, I'm not sure that you will find anything in your price range. As a reference point for what is available new in the UK, you might look at this site. These are machines built in the UK by one of the most prolific contributors to this site. I'm sure that JazzCNC would quote you for larger, but you can see the way the prices are heading.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Sorry to say this but not a snowball's chance in hell of buying a new 8x4 machine from China or anywhere else for that matter with £3k, the shipping alone from China will cost you £3k at the moment if you can get it on a boat!
    Buying from China at the moment is a nightmare for a number of reasons, the shipping costs have gone up 600% and now they are suffering from power shortages. Many areas are being limited on how much power they can consume and are limited to 3 days of production, so between shipping and increased lead times it's a nightmare getting anything sizeable out of China.

If Buying in this country you will need to put a 1 in front of that 3 and even then it's highly likely it's been built in China unless you go to someone like me who builds them.
    Also, be aware that if you buy from China then you will most likely end up replacing some of the electronics at some point and the wiring in many cases leaves a lot to be desired as can the build quality. Buying from China can be like buying a box of chocolates with no lid.!

Regards side drilling then you can get attachments for ATC spindles or specialized drilling heads but these cost BIG money.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 45 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    As a reference point for what is available new in the UK, you might look at this site. These are machines built in the UK by one of the most prolific contributors to this site. I'm sure that JazzCNC would quote you for larger, but you can see the way the prices are heading.
    I agree 100% with Neale. I have seen these machines in the flesh I don't think you will find better for the price.

I would get in touch with Dean (Jazzcnc) I am sure he will give you as much advice as you want without any pressure.
    Last edited by Clive S; 18-10-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information