. .
    Lives in Arundel, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-10-2021 Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hope you don't mind me reaching out, but I've come seeking your advice! I'm producing a bicycle bell for an academic institution and need to attach a hard enamelled shield (15H x12Wx 2D mm) to the top of the brass bell dome. The bell dome has been bought an and is being adapted, so I'm unable to modify that. Having tried various adhesives (very messy) the best solution seems to be to attach an M4 threaded clinch stud into the back of the shield with pro lock. (Please see attached pics). This seems to attach very well. However, as I am gluing on by eye, the stud is not always dead centre on the back of the shield. This is also critical, because the text elements that make up the rest of the logo will eventually be etched or screen printed on top of the dome around it (see production drawings). My thought was to put each shield into jig then use a drill press to drill out a hole and then to recess the pin, with adhesive, into the back of the shield. However, accuracy is critical - as the shield is only 2mm deep. So, is this the best way to go? I also have a MOQ of 300 to do, so this seems like quite a lot of work, unless I can send away for someone to do? Any advice you can give - along with tooling required - will be very much appreciated. Based in Arundel, West Sussex, if this is of use. Thanking you in advance, Dom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cambridge Pin.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	560.3 KB 
ID:	30609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	30610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2468.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	30611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	466.1 KB 
ID:	30612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 12.24.34.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	30614  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-09-2023 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 3 times.
    Hi Dom,
    Any luck working on a solution for this build?
    A smallholding jig and a pillar drill may be an option.

Dave

The dimensions don't look consistent. The shield in the photo looks quite a bit bigger than the one in the CAD model.

Not sure how adhesively attaching a stud to the shield will be better than directly attaching the shield to the bell. You still need to make a jig to get the position right, while the stud method will be less secure. An epoxy adhesive (Araldite) would seem right for this.

Thread Information