Just got my hands on a cyclone lathe from 1998
No electronics with machine except the transformer and a pair of Parker Digiplan BT30 drivers and the servos on the machine

I’m looking to run from single phase and have a 4kw vfd for the main spindle motor
Two questions really

1 - are the servos usable in that they are +/-10volts and not step/direction. If so what sort of motion controller do I need?

2 - the 8 position ATC is a Diplomatic BD80. 8/10-110/50. What do I need to control that ?

I’m using linuxcnc on my mill and smaller lathe and am happy with it so if that can be part of the solution then great. I really want to avoid mach3 as it’s so hold a buggy and mach4 as next to no support

The cyclone appears to have done next to no work slides ways are like new as are the ball screws
It was sat in a garage for some years and as some surface rust, which is nearly all now removed and I am in the process of stripping off the tinwork to gain proper access to the servos, main spindle motor, spindle tachometer, limit switches etc

Suggestions please folks

If the servos and drivers are junk then suggestions please for their replacements, close loop steppers or modern servos and if so what sizes / powers etc

I want to end up with an accurate machine, but equally I don’t want to spend the earth on it and as such I will trade a bit of speed. The slides are fairly short so massively fast rapids is not a great concern

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk