. .
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all,

I need to control safely a stepper with 2 drives (cheapo DM542). I have a fiber laser which has a Z axis controlled by a board DLC2 (step and dir) thru a DM542 to a stepper. I have another device which has his own driver (also a DM542), but needs to acces the same stepper.

The process should be like this:
    - start the machine with the Z axis stepper using the DLC board;
    - push a button to use the other device - isolate the DLC board and the drive and let the other drive to take control;
    - push another button or use the same one to be back to the normal state (at start up).

I am thinking to have a relay of some sort or a contactor which needs to be to a board for the step and dir, but this is vaguely.
    What is your advice on this?

Gabi

Another option would be to use only one driver and switch the control signals (step, direction, and what else you have) between the two devices.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtech View Post
    Another option would be to use only one driver and switch the control signals (step, direction, and what else you have) between the two devices.

Jan
    Can you be more specific, please?
    Is there a device like that?
    Should I make a board with step and direction from both motors and a switch between them for changing? .
    Sorry, for the newbie questions, but I try to figure this one out by myself.

Many thanks
    GAbi

Quote Originally Posted by gabi68 View Post
    Can you be more specific, please?
    Is there a device like that?
    Should I make a board with step and direction from both motors and a switch between them for changing? .
    Sorry, for the newbie questions, but I try to figure this one out by myself.

Many thanks
    GAbi

Well, if the DM542 drivers are already built into two different machines, my suggestion might be more work.

What you need to do it the way you described would be a 4p2t (4 poles, 2 throw) switch or relay.
    This can switch the 4 wires of the stepper between 2 sources, but the switch has to be rated for the full current of the steppers.

Jan

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 50 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well, if the DM542 drivers are already built into two different machines, my suggestion might be more work.

What you need to do it the way you described would be a 4p2t (4 poles, 2 throw) switch or relay.
    This can switch the 4 wires of the stepper between 2 sources, but the switch has to be rated for the full current of the steppers.

Jan
    You will have a good chance of blowing the drive if you switch if you switch it live
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

This is what I am afraid. Blowing a driver is not that bad (they are cheap), but the board of the laser is £1000. Open to any working solution. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You will have a good chance of blowing the drive if you switch if you switch it live
    Yes, i agree, thought about that only seconds after posting, but my post count is so low that every post has to be approved by a mod, so i couldnt edit it in time.
    Sorry for giving bad advice :-)

Jan

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 50 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Yes, i agree, thought about that only seconds after posting, but my post count is so low that every post has to be approved by a mod, so i couldnt edit it in time.
    Sorry for giving bad advice :-)

Jan
    Your welcome, we all have to learn 👍
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Skip one driver and switch the control signals step, dir, enable and gnd. This is what I am doing on my DIY lathe / 4th axis combo. I would not switch the stepper wires. Beware that if you have some interference then you might get some extra steps, so you must be careful with the wiring.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 12-12-2021 at 11:12 PM.

The only safe way is to switch the step/dir signals, you will 99% blow the drive if you swap the motor wires when the drive is powered up.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information