. .

Thread: Newbie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by simzter View Post
    Hey - thank you for the input. I think your comments are fair and eerily sum up the majority of my projects in my youth.

The honest answer about the DIY route (no pun intended) is mostly down to cashflow. I can't justify *picking a random number* £1,500 up front for all the parts I need in one go - however I can swallow that number over 6 months and build the project gradually. I think the excitement of the bits arriving every other week is part of the fun - as is when things don't move when they should - or move unexpectedly.
    You are welcome and I fully understand, DIY building is very very rewarding when done right but equally can be very frustrating and expensive if done wrong which sadly happens all too often which is why I post and comment on alternatives even though many will think it's just me chasing business which it really isn't.

I actually tread a fine line and am slightly conflicted at times and find it difficult at times because my heart and instincts are with the DIY'er but my business is building CNC machines so more often than not I'm actually talking myself out of potential business when I'm helping the DIY'er but I'd rather lose business than see someone else take the wrong route or design.

I think the JZR9060 would comfortably cater for any guitar body and neck cuts :) If I had an idea and the ability to make a living from the machine - then I'd invest in something prebuilt and proven - but sadly I have neither - yet.
    Yes I have a few people who have JZR9060 for making guitars and it's a nice size if space is limited but to be honest the JZR1260 is by far the most common size we build for Luthiers and in general really, though lately, the JZR1212 is very popular. I think the JZR1260 allows larger instruments like Base guitars and cases etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    This is worth taking a look @
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/4513-...-router/page66
    Its a long read so lots of tea and Hobnobs required.
    The information is priceless.
    Regards
    Mike
    Bloody hell Mike that's a blast from the past, I miss my Old mate John S, not many days or weeks go by that I don't think about him. Esp when I'm struggling with something, many a time when I'm chasing a fault or an issue I'll look to the sky and say " Come on John show me where to look, you old Bastard" . . Lol

Word of caution with old threads like this, technology has moved along in the past few years so just take this into consideration when it comes to component selection. Start your own Build thread even now well before building and ask any questions on what's currently available or best in that thread rather than using components in such an old thread as a guide.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hey - thank you for the input. I think your comments are fair and eerily sum up the majority of my projects in my youth.

The honest answer about the DIY route (no pun intended) is mostly down to cashflow. I can't justify *picking a random number* £1,500 up front for all the parts I need in one go - however I can swallow that number over 6 months and build the project gradually. I think the excitement of the bits arriving every other week is part of the fun - as is when things don't move when they should - or move unexpectedly.

I think the JZR9060 would comfortably cater for any guitar body and neck cuts :) If I had an idea and the ability to make a living from the machine - then I'd invest in something prebuilt and proven - but sadly I have neither - yet.

Maybe one day...
    This link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...S3i705fuSogBXT Is Joe's build on this forum just using a few tools and it shows you can make a very nice machine with a lot of effort.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Plenty of information to keep you busy over what's left of the holiday!

I'm a big fan of Ben over at Crimson Guitars, he looks like a criminal biker thug but talks like an Oxford don! He's also been converted from a CNC hater to an enthusiastic adopter in recent years.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information