. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This forum looked a bit empty so I've posted this here. Whilst not a 3 axis machine it is technically CNC. I have posted this design elsewhere so apologies if you've already seen it.

What and why?
    It's a device intended to drive a rotary table, lathe head or any form of indexing device. It's cheap - the electronics running around £30 and (for a small 4-8" table at least) can use some of the appallingly cheap steppers and drivers we see around these days...

I made it after purchasing a set of division plates for my 6" vertex table, I played with them and then decided they were tedious and error prone. So I designed this.
    Basically the controller connects to a stepper which you've coupled to your rotary table / lathe head / dividing head etc. Then with a couple of button presses it'll divide, move by an angle, move continuously for machining or if you're feeling adventurous you can program complex sequences of moves which can be driven automatically or with operator intervention etc.

Being a standalone device, it doesn't tie up a computer and is much simpler to use.

For example to divide a circle into 171 parts - turn on, press [2] (division) enter the number '0171' and press [G]. Each press of left or right will now move the table 1/171 of a circle anticlockwise or clockwise. Backlash compensation is automatically applied.
    The current position in degrees, current division and total number of divisions are all shown on the LCD display.

Main Features:

* Stand-alone operation. No computer needed.
    * Jog mode. For easy positioning.
    * Division mode. Divide a circle into any number from 1 to 9999 parts.
    * Degree mode. Move any number of degrees from 0.01 to 359.99 in 0.01 degree steps.
    * Continuous drive. Table is driven continuously CW/CCW at one of the (selectable) 5 speeds.
    * Program mode. Allows complex sequences to be carried out and automated. (10 programs can be stored)
    * Configurable for any worm drive from 1:1 to 9999:1.
    * Five speed settings.
    * Configurable for all common stepper / driver combinations.
    * Five machine profiles.
    * Automatic backlash compensation.

Attached (should be) Rotary V2.0.zip - unzip this into a folder somewhere and double click on 'Documentation.htm', this file has links to other files including a manual, partslist, circuit diagram etc. Most of it should be self explanatory. Since the device is based around a microcontroller (18F452) I've also included the firmware for it (I notice elsewhere on the forums someone has very kindly offered to program these for free...)
    I've also attached some photos of the completed unit and one of it in use (hooked to a 4" rotary table which is in turn bolted to my lathe head for a spot of gear cutting).

A number of these have been built by people in my local engineering club and people who've simply 'come by' the plans. There are a number of similar commercial designs, but I reckon this knocks spots off them and for a fraction of the price...

Hope it's of some use to people here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	external (538 x 600).jpg 
Views:	3996 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In use (450 x 600).jpg 
Views:	2968 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	263  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kwackers; 04-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.

This is an excellent contribution to the forums thank you very much, i'v also put this up as a sticky !

Kind Regards,
    CM
    .Me

Tried to open these attachments but no luck. Could they be emailed to me Thanx....Pete

I've re-attached the missing zip file to the first post.

Regards
    Steve.

Success !, the problem was that the file attachments were being stored in the database and not the file system on the server, when you tryed to upload the file the MySQL server was rejecting the file because the packet it was reciving was to big. Changed it to store files on the file server now so we shouldnt get that problem again.

Thanks Steve !
    .Me

HI ; I have come by chance to this group , and saw this very nice proyect, my question is , can you please post the uncompiled version of the firmware? the reason is that I want to have a go at trying to port the program to the picaxe (I have no experience on it but it should be fun) also is im sucessfull I will try to use the circuit to do electronic gear hobbing, using the device to multiply the clock imputs.
    regards
    mariano

Quote Originally Posted by Kwackers View Post
    This forum looked a bit empty so I've posted this here. Whilst not a 3 axis machine it is technically CNC. I have posted this design elsewhere so apologies if you've already seen it.

What and why?
    It's a device intended to drive a rotary table, lathe head or any form of indexing device. It's cheap - the electronics running around £30 and (for a small 4-8" table at least) can use some of the appallingly cheap steppers and drivers we see around these days...

I made it after purchasing a set of division plates for my 6" vertex table, I played with them and then decided they were tedious and error prone. So I designed this.
    Basically the controller connects to a stepper which you've coupled to your rotary table / lathe head / dividing head etc. Then with a couple of button presses it'll divide, move by an angle, move continuously for machining or if you're feeling adventurous you can program complex sequences of moves which can be driven automatically or with operator intervention etc.

Being a standalone device, it doesn't tie up a computer and is much simpler to use.

For example to divide a circle into 171 parts - turn on, press [2] (division) enter the number '0171' and press [G]. Each press of left or right will now move the table 1/171 of a circle anticlockwise or clockwise. Backlash compensation is automatically applied.
    The current position in degrees, current division and total number of divisions are all shown on the LCD display.

Main Features:

* Stand-alone operation. No computer needed.
    * Jog mode. For easy positioning.
    * Division mode. Divide a circle into any number from 1 to 9999 parts.
    * Degree mode. Move any number of degrees from 0.01 to 359.99 in 0.01 degree steps.
    * Continuous drive. Table is driven continuously CW/CCW at one of the (selectable) 5 speeds.
    * Program mode. Allows complex sequences to be carried out and automated. (10 programs can be stored)
    * Configurable for any worm drive from 1:1 to 9999:1.
    * Five speed settings.
    * Configurable for all common stepper / driver combinations.
    * Five machine profiles.
    * Automatic backlash compensation.

Attached (should be) Rotary V2.0.zip - unzip this into a folder somewhere and double click on 'Documentation.htm', this file has links to other files including a manual, partslist, circuit diagram etc. Most of it should be self explanatory. Since the device is based around a microcontroller (18F452) I've also included the firmware for it (I notice elsewhere on the forums someone has very kindly offered to program these for free...)
    I've also attached some photos of the completed unit and one of it in use (hooked to a 4" rotary table which is in turn bolted to my lathe head for a spot of gear cutting).

A number of these have been built by people in my local engineering club and people who've simply 'come by' the plans. There are a number of similar commercial designs, but I reckon this knocks spots off them and for a fraction of the price...

Hope it's of some use to people here.

For anyone that's interested here's the source for v1.1 of the code.

With the exception of programming mode and some tidying up it's fairly similar to the version of the firmware included above.

It's intended to compile with Hi-Soft C.

Please note copyright on these files belong to me, I release them for personal use only.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Kwackers;
    thanks for posting the " C" file , I will learn a lot from it.
    and also will help people that wants to develop their own rotary table.
    Now can you please post the pcb file? I want to try to mill it or I can try to print the file ,as printing the jpg file does not come right , when I try to reduce the size
    regards
    mariano

quote=Kwackers;2919]For anyone that's interested here's the source for v1.1 of the code.

With the exception of programming mode and some tidying up it's fairly similar to the version of the firmware included above.

It's intended to compile with Hi-Soft C.

Please note copyright on these files belong to me, I release them for personal use only.[/quote]

Best way to print the PCB is to install Proteus Ares PCB software...

However, you can be a guinea pig and see if the attached PDF works. ;)

If it does - can you let me know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotary2PCB.pdf  

hi ;
    the artwork did not work for me, and when I tried to make draw the circuit board , I found that
    The PCB artwork shows 2 pins of the pot connected to ground and 1 pin to pin 3 of the LCD connector.
    The Schematic shows 1 pin connected to ground, 1 pin to +5V and the other to pin 3 of the LCD connector.
    can you please shed some light into it?
    thanks
    rasta

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information