. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Changed my mind on controller.
    Look at the AXBB-E. This simplifies things a little. Has controller and bob combined.

I wouldn't spend £2k on a manual machine like the Amadeal or any other Chinese-based machine because it's like building on quicksand.? Like any good structure, the foundation is everything and if this is poor the whole thing is a pointless exercise that quickly becomes a money pit that is difficult to get out of without blowing lots of cash.

If you need a small mill then look for a good second-hand Denford or Boxford that has good quality bases and components. Then spend a little on bringing them up to date with more modern controls and electronics.

If you have more room then look to buying an older purpose-built CNC machine with outdated or blown controllers, such as Bridgeport interact, etc, and then update with modern electronics. This way you start with a solid foundation built on good old cast iron. You still get enjoyment with the conversion or update and learn about the machine but without the stress from all the pitfalls which can and do come from converting a manual mill to CNC.

However, £3.5K isn't enough to do this properly even if you go with the Chinese manual route. My advice is to save your money, add more to it and look for some old iron.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175030848...waAoMFEALw_wcB
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I wouldn't spend £2k on a manual machine like the Amadeal or any other Chinese-based machine because it's like building on quicksand.? Like any good structure, the foundation is everything and if this is poor the whole thing is a pointless exercise that quickly becomes a money pit that is difficult to get out of without blowing lots of cash.
    If you need a small mill then look for a good second-hand Denford or Boxford that has good quality bases and components.
    However, £3.5K isn't enough to do this properly even if you go with the Chinese manual route. My advice is to save your money, add more to it and look for some old iron.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175030848...waAoMFEALw_wcB

3 phase though. Can't use it without ripping elecs out first and replacing spindle motor. Not a fan of that style Bport.
    Seemed risky to me in case I didn't have the skills to build the mechanics.
    Now, if I could've got a blown out Haas mini mill type thing that may have been a different story!.

TBH I started with getting to grips with cad/cam side of things before touching anything else (inhereted pc).
    If you can't get your head round that then there's no point getting a machine to mess with.

I'm doing mine as a hobby just to see if I could.

Other than that, Jazz has a valid point. But it's all about your budget in the end.

And just to add, the Amadeal isn't a bad machine afaic.
    My 25 isn't anyway. Quill style spindle lets it down imo. Handy for drilling but I wouldn't push it too hard.
    Slower and deeper seems to give less vibration than faster and shallow. Has the torque to do it too.
    Castings did need some minor tweeking but the carriage and table were straight.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 21-01-2022 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    3 phase though. Can't use it without ripping elecs out first and replacing spindle motor.
    Not the case because they will happily run from a 3 phase rotary converter. Yes, this up's the cost but this is offset because of not messing around with converting, etc plus you get a real CNC machine, not a Dinky toy.

Not a fan of that style Bport.
    Now, if I could've got a blown out Haas mini mill type thing that may have been a different story!.
    The mechanics are not much different from any other CNC machine, the principles are exactly the same the differences being they are stronger and better built with accurate datum edges, etc.

Given a choice between an old Bridgeport and a Haas Minimill I'd take the Bridgeport every time. The Haas is just a beefed-up Benchtop Minimill that sits on a steel frame.
    The bridge port is one big lump of solid cast iron that will last forever and absorb vibrations like a sponge, it will give finishes and allow material removal rates the Haas Minimill could only dream about.

However, that was just one example and probably not the one I would go for either because there are better newer options if you watch for them, but the point is I wouldn't sink £3.5k which will quickly turn into £5k in all reality into a Chinese machine made from cast iron that is more brittle than a crunchy bar and about as stable as a quivers jelly when you can buy rock-solid old iron for not much more.

In all reality for someone wanting a small desktop machine then Denfords, Boxfords, Emco's, etc which are built from quality cast iron and with decent base components is probably the better way to go.
    I'd just avoid converting a Chinese manual machine because it will always be a compromise at best and at worst it's a pig's ear that can't be turned into a silk purse no matter how much money you throw at it.!

TBH I dont have the space for that size of Mill - I've been using 3D cad for many years and CAM so no issue there

I will only be making small scale parts which are ideally suited for the VM32 size machine - I do fully get the potential pitfalls but for my use case and Bridgeport would be overkill

I trained on such a machine as an apprecitice - they are truly solid machines and I wish I had both the space and money for one

One of the reasons for doing the conversion was to give me a base machine early and then spend time building up parts etc for the CNC as I go but still have the use of the machine

Ideally I want to get the best Chinese mill i can get - any opinions on this would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_UK View Post
    TBH I dont have the space for that size of Mill - I've been using 3D cad for many years and CAM so no issue there

I will only be making small scale parts which are ideally suited for the VM32 size machine - I do fully get the potential pitfalls but for my use case and Bridgeport would be overkill

I trained on such a machine as an apprecitice - they are truly solid machines and I wish I had both the space and money for one

One of the reasons for doing the conversion was to give me a base machine early and then spend time building up parts etc for the CNC as I go but still have the use of the machine

Ideally I want to get the best Chinese mill i can get - any opinions on this would be appreciated
    Fully understand and in that case, I would look for a used Denford, etc like I mention at the bottom of my previous post rather than look to Chinese mills which are like a box of chocolates with no lid.?
    Edit: Also just because someone else found a decent Chinese mill does it follow all the others will be the same, even from the same manufacturer because I know if you search hard enough you'll just as many unhappy buyers as you will happy, if not more.!

Now regarding the small-scale parts what material will you be mostly cutting.? If it's aluminum your next battle will be spindle speeds as most mills don't come with fast enough spindles to suit cutting soft materials. This will be something you will need to factor into the cost/difficulty equation when converting.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Fully understand and in that case, I would look for a used Denford, etc like I mention at the bottom of my previous post rather than look to Chinese mills which are like a box of chocolates with no lid.?
    Edit: Also just because someone else found a decent Chinese mill does it follow all the others will be the same, even from the same manufacturer because I know if you search hard enough you'll just as many unhappy buyers as you will happy, if not more.!

Now regarding the small-scale parts what material will you be mostly cutting.? If it's aluminum your next battle will be spindle speeds as most mills don't come with fast enough spindles to suit cutting soft materials. This will be something you will need to factor into the cost/difficulty equation when converting.?
    Hey Jazz

Aluminium, engineering plastics and some mild steel - I imagine the most common will the aluminium though. I had considered changing the main drive after the CNC to get higher speed and more constant torque

Thanks

3 phase though. Can't use it without ripping elecs out first and replacing spindle motor. Not a fan of that style Bport.

TBH I started with getting to grips with cad/cam side of things before touching anything else (inhereted pc).
    If you can't get your head round that then there's no point getting a machine to mess with.

I'm doing mine as a hobby just to see if I could.

Other than that, Jazz has a valid point. But it's all about your budget in the end.

And just to add, the Amadeal isn't a bad machine afaic.
    My 25 isn't anyway. Quill style spindle lets it down imo. Handy for drilling but I wouldn't push it too hard.
    Slower and deeper seems to give less vibration than faster and shallow. Has the torque to do it too.
    Castings did need some minor tweeking but the carriage and table were straight.
    Daz

What do you think to this model SIEG SX3.5ZP HiTorque Mill - more money ???

Hey Jazz

Aluminium, engineering plastics and some mild steel - I imagine the most common will the aluminium though. I had considered changing the main drive after the CNC to get higher speed and more constant torque

Thanks
    There may be a Warco WM18 on ebay ending soon (same sizes as WM32 I believe). Not sure on condition but states low use.
    It's downfalls are MT3 taper and gear driven.
    Looks in need of a right good clean but also means it might go cheap!.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125101856...YAAOSwbKNh4tn2
    https://www.warco.co.uk/milling-mach...g-machine.html

MT3 no problem unless thinking tool changers or quick change as it's not that easy to release tools via drawbar unlike R8.
    Gear driven may be easy enough to belt convert later.
    Plenty info about that when searching G0704 belt conversion (25 size machine). Similar process, smaller size.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 21-01-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Daz

What do you think to this model SIEG SX3.5ZP HiTorque Mill - more money ???
    Not convinced for the price.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information