. .

Thread: my first build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    that screw did turn out :heehee: good for you jonm, maybe i will tackle it myself.

as the design progresses i will be trying to source many of my parts localy. in doing that i will be visiting and looking for engineering supply shops. i have a few contacts who can advise me where to go. i think i will be beginning construction around end of january. that gives me plenty of time to go and see whats out there. i think its highly likely that i will find someone selling propper lead screws and some sort of propper linear bearings at a price right for me but at this stage i will not count on it.

i see your the point all of you make about getting the right stuff straight away but there are really two things stopping me from spending that sort of money right now...

*of course as mentioned there is the financial situation which is crap but there is no point crying about it. plenty of people in the same boat. the answer to that one is to just get on with it and dont let it get you down.

*more importantly is the fact that i dont yet fully realise the full potential of having a machine such as this and dont really know all the uses i will have for it and as such i dont want to buy expensive linear bearings only to find that i really need ones 200mm longer in the long run. i would rather build something cheap and then after using it decide if i need it more acurate or smaller or bigger...i do have the garage space to go for an 8' x 4' if i want.

i do have a quiet enough life, no kids yet, house is built and mostly finished so i can afford to spend a lot of time getting this finnished.

i promise there will be no more talk about budget or financial situation from now on. its depressing
    you all know the brief at this stage. keep it simple, get it working and then with the experience of doing that decide if the specs are right for a better one.

does anyone have any ideas for coupling the motor to the screw? i see a lot of guys using propper couplers and some guys making their own.
    where do you get your couplers?

i have been busy learning solidworks and trying to visualise my ideas, pretty cool bit of software. i will see if i can get the model finnished over next few days and get some pictures up.

cheers for all the help guys, i would be lost in design decisions without this forum.
    All work and no play makes Wires a dull boy:twisted:

here is a quick hit and a good price....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Location unknown. Last Activity: 19-06-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 89.
    v groove bearings on ebay 4 for £26

4. Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    here is a quick hit and a good price....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Thats a good price for L050 couplers, he also sells miniature bearings and thrust bearings and 10mm double row angular contact bearings at reasonable prices.

i might just go ahead and buy some of the tr12x3, some bearings and couplers. does anyone know what internal diameter the bearings should be, ie. when i grind down the tr12x3 at what diameter does the thread disappear? i dont want to get bearings too big and end up with them supporting some of the thread. i assume the 12x3 relates to overall diameter and thread pitch so i dont know how deep the thread goes.

those v groove bearings look interesting, never seen anything like that before. i would need quite a few of them between all the axis. seen another seller has them for 4.99

Location unknown. Last Activity: 10-11-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 58. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi Wires

The root diameter is 7.69mm have a look at; http://www.nookindustries.com/acme/A...Info.cfm?id=15

Regards.

Ivan

Location unknown. Last Activity: 19-06-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 89.
    hi wires
    these ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/V-groove-Beari...item3ca85da986

i looked at these be carefull .. could be wrong but i dont think they are accurate enough think they are butcher boy bearings

wires
    there seems to be a few conflicting data sheets on 12x3 trapezioid screw mine came from marchant dice and with just the thread ground off a 8mm skate bearing will not go on ... needs a tad more taken of with a file to get a snug fit , so i think with just the thread off 8.5-9mm

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...apezoidal.html

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kn8 View Post
    Hi Wires

The root diameter is 7.69mm have a look at; http://www.nookindustries.com/acme/A...Info.cfm?id=15

Regards.

Ivan
    As an alternative to turning the screw down you could look at these components from dumpterCNC

Note when specifying TR12X3 make sure you say whether its single or 2 start thread - the common one is single start. 2-start is faster (6mm lead) but the components etc are more expensive.

As to the Root Dia, DIN103 spec say max 8.5mm, min 7.68mm depending on fit and load spec. In my experience, generally expect it to be around 7.95mm making it a good fit on 8mm ID bearings.

jonm - I must type faster - Roy's site is a good place to bookmark...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information