. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    With the inductance on those steppers, they need DM860 drives and minimum 60v to get decent high rapid speeds.
    Proven.
    But, never any issue on 36v running at 300rpm with 5mm pitch ballscrews, and my gibs were tight as (mill).
    As mentioned, not really a speed freak just want to overcome the issues at the moment.
    I would be happy with any speed that doesn't stick.
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220425_194618.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	31007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220425_194622.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	31008

Ok, forget the nonsense about silicone spray, teflon or Lube oil for now because with those steppers running on 36V using lead screws then if it had been parked in the desert for six months and was bone dry they would still move that machine around at more than 1000mm/min if setup correctly.

So let me ask the questions which should have been asked by the others.?
    #1 What micro-steps do you have the drives set at.
    #2 What pitch are the lead screws (those are lead not ballscrews)
    #3 What do you have for Steps per unit in the control software.

It doesn't matter how large your motors are if the controller isn't set up correctly and sending out the wrong number of pulses at the wrong time you will get stalling motors, hence Robin's oscilloscope question.
    In the controller, you will have set the number of steps per unit, ie mm and this number is a calculation based on the micro-step setting on the drives, the motor step angle and the pitch of the lead screw along with a ratio if one is used.

So let's say your Micro-steps are set at 400 and the lead screw pitch is 5mm and it's directly coupled to the screws with no ratio. The motors will be standard 200 steps per rev
    The calculation for Steps per mm would be 400/5= 80

If your controller doesn't put out the correct number of pulses then the machine will move the wrong distance and if it's very wrong with too many pulses then it would cause the motors to stall even if they had 10 x the power of what's fitted now.

I don't use Arduino's or GRBL etc so can't help on this but it doesn't matter which controller you use if it's not set up correctly regards the pulses it puts out then things like this will happen regardless of motor size or voltage.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

More might be better but I have just been playing with some dinky 5 phase steppers. They start out with a 0.8Nm pull out torque, sounds a bit limp, but they still have 0.25Nm at 3000rpm. 4 Amps 24 Volts. It's a different ball park

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Also check the maximum step frequency and / or the minimum pulse width (similar thing). If you have it set too high frequency / too short pulse width, some of them may not get through to the driver. Try running at lower max frequency to see if this is an issue. I don't use steppers any more but last time I did, this was the issue causing me stalling / lost steps. Those settings would be in your controller, not the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok, forget the nonsense about silicone spray, teflon or Lube oil for now because with those steppers running on 36V using lead screws then if it had been parked in the desert for six months and was bone dry they would still move that machine around at more than 1000mm/min if setup correctly.

So let me ask the questions which should have been asked by the others.?
    #1 What micro-steps do you have the drives set at.
    #2 What pitch are the lead screws (those are lead not ballscrews)
    #3 What do you have for Steps per unit in the control software.

It doesn't matter how large your motors are if the controller isn't set up correctly and sending out the wrong number of pulses at the wrong time you will get stalling motors, hence Robin's oscilloscope question.
    In the controller, you will have set the number of steps per unit, ie mm and this number is a calculation based on the micro-step setting on the drives, the motor step angle and the pitch of the lead screw along with a ratio if one is used.

So let's say your Micro-steps are set at 400 and the lead screw pitch is 5mm and it's directly coupled to the screws with no ratio. The motors will be standard 200 steps per rev
    The calculation for Steps per mm would be 400/5= 80

If your controller doesn't put out the correct number of pulses then the machine will move the wrong distance and if it's very wrong with too many pulses then it would cause the motors to stall even if they had 10 x the power of what's fitted now.

I don't use Arduino's or GRBL etc so can't help on this but it doesn't matter which controller you use if it's not set up correctly regards the pulses it puts out then things like this will happen regardless of motor size or voltage.
    1. Currently at 400
    2. 3mm Pitch
    3. 133.33

Tried with UGCODE Sender and Estlcam
    Thanks Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    More might be better but I have just been playing with some dinky 5 phase steppers. They start out with a 0.8Nm pull out torque, sounds a bit limp, but they still have 0.25Nm at 3000rpm. 4 Amps 24 Volts. It's a different ball park
    Thanks Robin that answer just went straight over my beginner's head lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Also check the maximum step frequency and / or the minimum pulse width (similar thing). If you have it set too high frequency / too short pulse width, some of them may not get through to the driver. Try running at lower max frequency to see if this is an issue. I don't use steppers any more but last time I did, this was the issue causing me stalling / lost steps. Those settings would be in your controller, not the driver.
    Please can you explain frequency ?
    Thanks for the reply

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Dunno what software you are using to drive the stepper drives but in the systems I use (LinuxCNC and Centroid), you can select the maximum pulse repetition rate for the steps. If you try to drive the stepper drives with too high a frequency, the input circuitry (usually optocouplers) can't process them consistently. IIRC, I've seen options for 100kHz and 200kHz, possibly higher (I don't recall right now).

The default for Centroid seems to be 200,000 steps per second (200kHz) and I know from experience that the Chinesium stepper driver I tried didn't work consistently with that until I reduced it to one of the lower settings. Have a look and see if you can see an option to reduce that in your system.

This is different to max velocity, as you may find the required step frequency to achieve max velocity is above what the driver can process, depending on your number of steps per rev, ballscrew pitch etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information