. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I wonder how many of us "home" builders actually do inhibit the spindle during tool change? On my mill, I've configured the M6 macro to go to the tool change position, wait for manual tool change and hit the "change done" button (pop-up menu), then automatically set tool height via the tool-setter. On the router, I skip the tool-setter bit 'cos it doesn't have one. In both cases, I rely on the software/hardware not to spin up the spindle while I'm changing the tool. I'm sure that that is not acceptable in an industrial setting. Is that what everyone else does?

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    In both cases, I rely on the software/hardware not to spin up the spindle while I'm changing the tool. I'm sure that that is not acceptable in an industrial setting. Is that what everyone else does?
    You'd be surprised just how many industrial machines don't inhibit the spindle, especially routers.

To be fair I think if they did have an inhibit switch very few would use it because they would be forever forgetting to turn it back on again before hitting cycle start and very few would put any checks in the M6 macro to see if the spindle was up to speed before letting the program run again.

One of the things we do is wire our machines so hitting the RESET in the software doesn't drop the drive's power or inhibit them so they stay locked and position doesn't get lost, we then tell people to put the machine into RESET when changing tools this way the OUTPUTS are made safe( well safe as can be without a physical switch).
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information