. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-01-2023 Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    I was going to embark on an electronics project and discovered the world of p.c.b engraving, intrigued by this I got myself a Vevor 3018 CNC.

After a bit of playing I managed to create a test p.c.b. using KiCAD, Flatcam and Candle. Great I thought and then set about making a proper board, things went south at this point. I could not get any consistency with the engraving, sometimes it would work really well and other times there would be bare board where a track should have been. I put the p.c.b. to one side and thought I would try and make a front panel out of ABS for something I built earlier. Using FreeCAD and Candle I managed to ‘mill’ one although it was a bit of a mare as the plastic kept melting and sticking to the end mill, but I got there in the end.

Back to p.c.b. I took the CNC apart to clean out all the plastic dust that had built up and noticed that the X axis has some play between the linear bearings and the guide rails, and a bit of play in one of the vertical bars of the Z axis. I figured this may be the cause of the inconsistency and to prove it I fed some PTFE tape through the bearings and taped the ends around the back of the motor unit and put a piece of tape in the hole of the Z axis bar and that took the slack out. When I fire up the machine I was surprised as to how much quieter it was and I managed to engrave a test p.c.b.
    I have read some articles on the internet implying that there are upgrade kits and super duper bearings out there to solve the issue, but I can’t seem to find a supplier or know with confidence what I am looking for, any help would be gratefully received.

Thought I would add a picture of the PTFE fix, subsequently found play in the Z axis fixed as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220514_172143.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	31047
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220514_172203.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	31049

T.I.A.
    Ashley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220514_172216.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	31048  
    Last edited by Ash; 14-05-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Thread Information