. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok, I found the manual and it looks to me like the diagram below is what you need, I know it says for external equipment but I just think that means when being controlled externally rather than using the built-in control functions and using as stand alone drive.

Now I'm not too familiar with SCSI plugs but did a quick google on the SCSI and most show a 4-row pin arrangement. However, as it says in the manual you need to confirm the pin location on the connector matches.

This is not an unusual arrangement on servos connectors, I recently retro fit an Hurco with Honda 44 pin Scsi connectors on Yaskawa servo drives and they used 4 rows that were similar in layout to those.

All this said I wouldn't connect up to the servo until you have verified the pin layout because it will be very easy to blow an input if you get it wrong.

Attachment 31025
    The connector is nothing like the one you show (which was my point).

All I want to know is which is pin No 1 on the Servo Unit.
    Every time I am wrong - the World makes a little less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1966 View Post
    The connector is nothing like the one you show (which was my point).

All I want to know is which is pin No 1 on the Servo Unit.
    So maybe it would have been a good idea to show us the connector you have.?

But all the same, the diagram shows which pin is number 1, which when looking again I'd say it would be how you have drawn it in the second diagram, so yes I'd say you are correct but still if you are unsure and there are no markings I'd check it out more because very easy to let out the magic smoke out if wrong.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    So maybe it would have been a good idea to show us the connector you have.?
    Picture no 2 in the very first post

"Hi, I have three Panasonic MSD043xx servos on a Triac" - then picture two is labelled "MSD043xx" in large red writing.

Picture no 2 in the very first post

"Hi, I have three Panasonic MSD043xx servos on a Triac" - then picture two is labelled "MSD043xx" in large red writing.
    I know the drive model, I referring to showing us the rear of the cable connector you have because you say the 3rd diagram doesn't match, so what do you have.? plus those pictures were a bit shit so can't see the connector on the drive very well.

Just because the front of the connector shows two rows of pins doesn't mean the rear of the connector has 2 rows, in fact, many have 4 rows just like the diagram shows. See the pic of one of our Lichuan servo drive connectors to get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220513_134955.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	31034 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220513_134750.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	31035 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220513_135147.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	598.6 KB 
ID:	31036 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220513_135127.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	618.1 KB 
ID:	31037

I see what you are saying.. but if you look at the first diagram I posted there are only 36 connections on the Input/Output control cable CN-I/F.

I've counted inside the connecter and there and theres 36 connections (18 each side - not 19 and 17 as shown in my numbering...sorry). Then on the other end (connection to the AHHA board) is a 36 pin serial connector. Would they really use a 72 pin connector when they only used 36 of them?

Also the pin out picture you posted (from the manual) uses 4 rows of 9 pins (making 36 pins). Which is also just strange.... if there was more pins would they really only use the top half?

The whole thing would be so simple if they just had Pin 1, Pin18, pin 19 and 36 marked on the device. I posted hoping someone had fitted these type of drives before and would instantly know. It looks like one of situations where if you "know" you know, but if you don't... you don't and there no way to actually work it out.

I do appreciate your time and effort though, it's just very frustrating trying find out this info that should be readily available in the manual.

thanks again

The connector looks like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/233770293586

Go through the pictures and you can see the front end of the 36p which shows 18pins each side.

Take a detailed photo of the front of the drive itself showing the connection.
    I did find part number:
    10136-3000VE. Connector.
    10336-52A0-008. Shell.
    Conn part no, search, came up at RS components.
    Shown as discontinued product there.
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/scsi-connectors/1761986

Numbers were taken from manual for MSD series that came up when searching your drive number. Config looked the same 4 rows.
    Technically, there should be a part number for connector/shell in your manual either above or below the pin config image.
    Also part numbers for different encoder cable options depending on motor driven.

Double/triple check any cables after soldering, with a meter.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 13-05-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Take a detailed photo of the front of the drive itself showing the connection.
    I did find part number:
    10136-3000VE. Connector.
    10336-52A0-008. Shell.
    Conn part no, search, came up at RS components.
    Shown as discontinued product there.
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/scsi-connectors/1761986

Numbers were taken from manual for MSD series that came up when searching your drive number. Config looked the same 4 rows.
    Technically, there should be a part number for connector/shell in your manual either above or below the pin config image.
    Also part numbers for different encoder cable options depending on motor driven.

Double/triple check any cables after soldering, with a meter.
    The rows in the manual don't make sense as explained previously in my last reply to JAZZCNC.

Also found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/30385701666...gAAOSwAxtgCptv

The fact that this guy in the USA is selling generic cable for Yaskawa, Mitsubishi, Panasonic servos would also suggust to me a standard pin numbering for the port.

Name:	panni_pic01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	31039

Name:	panni_pic02.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	31040

I've counted inside the connecter and there and theres 36 connections (18 each side - not 19 and 17 as shown in my numbering...sorry). Then on the other end (connection to the AHHA board) is a 36 pin serial connector. Would they really use a 72 pin connector when they only used 36 of them?

Also the pin out picture you posted (from the manual) uses 4 rows of 9 pins (making 36 pins). Which is also just strange.... if there was more pins would they really only use the top half?
    Yes, they would use a 72pin at the other end if that is what was needed on the board, this is not uncommon. My Yaskawa Spindle servo drive uses a 44-pin connector but only 6 of the pins are used.
    Likewise, it's not uncommon on a 36pin connector to only use one row or less.

It's also not uncommon for 2 or 3 cables to go to one 36pin connector so they make use of the pins for several boards. We fit industrial controllers and they often come with connectors using several cables.

The connector looks like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/233770293586

Go through the pictures and you can see the front end of the 36p which shows 18pins each side.
    Yes but look at the rear and there are 4 rows of pins although it shows a 26pin, not 36 they are just the same with more pins, and the diagram in the manual is shown as if you are viewing from the rear, not the front which is where I think you are possible getting confused.?

Do you have the cable connector.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-05-2022 at 06:37 PM.

The rows in the manual don't make sense as explained previously in my last reply to JAZZCNC.

Also found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/30385701666...gAAOSwAxtgCptv

The fact that this guy in the USA is selling generic cable for Yaskawa, Mitsubishi, Panasonic servos would also suggust to me a standard pin numbering for the port.

Name:	panni_pic02.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	31040
    Ok, now I can see the connector properly I can tell you that it's exactly the same connector as the pics I posted.

So in your original post, the 2nd pic is correct if viewed from the front. BUT the manual diagram is also correct when viewed from the rear of the connector as you would normally wire the connector.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information