. .
    Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-07-2022 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 25.
    Hi All

I'm in search of a fly cutter or another type surface mill / shell mill to fit an ER20 collet and 2.2kw spindle. It is for surfacing hard engineering plastics, aluminium and maybe the odd occasional soft steel.

I've seen some on ebay and some generic ones, but ideally want to buy a decent tool for a decent price. Can anyone recommend a good fly cutter or shell type mill, preferably from a UK supplier?

If your spindle is the typical 2.2kw water-cooled spindle then you won't have enough torque at the low rpm's that a wide fly cutter or large shell mill requires. What diameter were you thinking about.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-07-2022 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 25.
    Hi Dean

It's the typical 2.2kw HY spindle. Mostly I have to face 600mm x 600mm hard plastics and occasionally smaller aluminium parts. I was hoping I could get a 35mm (or at least a 25mm tool) as I thought that would be the maximum size and load for the spindle.

I use a 50mm carbide-tipped cutter in my HY spindle. I would say that I get away with it rather than it's ideal. Runs at 7K, which is about as slow as my spindle will run and still give any torque. Only used for surfacing a spoil board and with no more than 0.5mm depth in ply or mdf. That was a cheap eBay buy, but it's ok for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Hi Dean

It's the typical 2.2kw HY spindle. Mostly I have to face 600mm x 600mm hard plastics and occasionally smaller aluminium parts. I was hoping I could get a 35mm (or at least a 25mm tool) as I thought that would be the maximum size and load for the spindle.
    Ok well, the 50mm version of this is what we use for surfacing with the 2.2Kw spindle and have used for HDPE and Aluminium on occasion and the finish it leaves is fantastic. I've run low as 5000 rpm upto 10,000rpm
    It may seem pricey but long term it's cheap as you get 4 sides per blade and the blades are cheap. Well worth the money IMO.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog..._Wing_928.html
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Have a look at scott and seargent, the CMT surfacing bits are pretty similar to the Wealdon but a good bit cheaper, same replacable blades, they have quite a lot of decent endmills and stuff.

https://www.scosarg.com/search-resul...name=match_and

Ollie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie78 For This Useful Post:

thnx Dean / Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie78 View Post
    Have a look at scott and seargent, the CMT surfacing bits are pretty similar to the Wealdon but a good bit cheaper, same replacable blades, they have quite a lot of decent endmills and stuff.

https://www.scosarg.com/search-resul...name=match_and

Ollie
    Cheers Ollie, at those prices I will give them ago, I've got/used a big 2-1/2" yellow jobby to good success in MDF, just a cheap (£15) one off Amazon but a CMT will be a nice upgrade.
    .Me

Thread Information