. .

Thread: Air flow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Only thing to watch is overheating. These compressors are designed for fairly short run times in normal use, with pressure cut-off switch. Running for 30 mins or an hour on a long cut they might get too warm. I fitted a computer fan on the back of the crankcase to blow air through it.

Strange that! I had a LIDL airbrush compressor, with a disposable welding gas bottle to make a reservoir. I only used it to clean down the machine and shift any build up of chips. This has been since replaced with a small Jun-Air compressor, which is nice and quiet and it only cost me £20. It is old and needed a new pipe and a service, but it is a quality machine. Apparently these compressors are used in Banks as part of the security grill system and with the closure of Branches, they are becoming available.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    As others have said, use a high speed and try to stick to a free machining grade like 6061 / T6 (IIRC). I use a airbrush compressor with a small reservoir and a small jet pointed at the cutter. Use standard airbrush hose, about a 1mm hole in the jet which is mounted on a bit of lokline from the mill head so it can be directed at the work. I don't use coolant.
    If you don't mind, can you advise compressor model?, also, can this run/provide cooling continuously (say 1hr+.... I know that's probably short for some people)

The reason I went for the large pond aeration pump is that it can run continuously (24/7 if necessary). It is quiet compared with even an airbrush compressor, pumps out 80L/min free air (70L/min in a typical pond aeration rig) and can produce 0.3 MPa which is 43PSI The ACO-388D costs £40 - ish. When I get my machine recommissioned, I will use it again, with the bigger compressor for large area clearance.

Just a footnote, I started off with a smaller pump, which was OK but not brilliant.
    Last edited by cropwell; 31-05-2022 at 09:57 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The reason I went for the large pond aeration pump is that it can run continuously (24/7 if necessary). It is quiet compared with even an airbrush compressor, pumps out 80L/min free air (70L/min in a typical pond aeration rig) and can produce 0.3 MPa which is 43PSI The ACO-388D costs £40 - ish. When I get my machine recommissioned, I will use it again, with the bigger compressor for large area clearance.

Just a footnote, I started off with a smaller pump, which was OK but not brilliant.
    I just ordered thw ACO-328, which is also 80L, will see how it goes, thanks for the help. appreciates.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    If you don't mind, can you advise compressor model?, also, can this run/provide cooling continuously (say 1hr+.... I know that's probably short for some people)
    Sorry, I haven't a clue it's just one of those generic airbrush compressors. With the cooling fan it can run indefinitely I think.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 32 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Another option might be a HVLP high volume low pressure paint sprayer. These use a radial compressor, so sound rather like a vacuum cleaner...

I bought an Erbauer one from Screwfix and it worked well for clearing swarf - too well, so the stuff ended up all over the workshop. Until I get round to fitting an enclosure, I am persisting with flood cooling and periodic blasts with a handheld air line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information