. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

New to the Forum and New to CNC, so hope you can point me in the right direction.

After unboxing my machine (after a long storage period) I discovered that the connection on the CNC's controller unit (Heiz Zero 2) is a 25 PIN male connection.

Could I ask your opinions on the best way to connect the controller to my PC (which only has USB ports). Just for your information, I will be running V carve Pro, and I'm just a hobbyist starting out.

Many thanks.

Hi there,

After a bit of research, It looks like It maybe possible to connect my - CNC controller unit to my 64bit PC via a USB cable/connection.

A company produces a small adapter box with a 25pin connector input and a USB output to your PC. This does require a small piece of software (which is supplied) to be installed onto your PC, but I thought I'd post in case anyone was interested. The adapter unit is known as WinPC - NC - USB if you want to look into it, via a (Google search).

I've asked for a bit more info and a cost, so if I decide to give it a go I'll keep you posted and let you know how I get on.

Have a good one

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    What you are looking at is probably what is known as an external motion controller. Its job is to take instructions from the PC and turn them into the actual signals that the stepper or servo motors need to move the machine. It is defiintely not just a USB to 25-pin adaptor. You are also missing a vital piece in the chain from Vcarve to the machine, which is the control software that runs on the PC and takes the gcode output from Vcarve (a list of "goto such-and-such a position", etc), lets you set machine zero and start position, and all the other "user" things you need to do. It talks to the motion controller that then translates this into something that the stepper drivers can understand.

Widely-used motion controllers include the UC100 which is also USB to 25-pin and the UC300/400 series which are a bit more sophisticated. Also recommended is the UCCNC control software which runs on the PC.

Your posts suggests someone without much experience in this area - lots of people on this forum can help with advice and comments but a bit more info on what you have and where you are coming from would be useful first.

Hi Neale, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Your correct I have no experience whatsoever, I've literally just un-crated the machine after a long storage from new, and I'm trying to get to grips with connecting the thing up to my PC. I've watched lots of youtube cnc content over the last week to try and understand what's required, but I'm still not 100% clear. Below is a description of what I think I need, however if you could have a quick look and advice in anyway, I;d really appreciate it.

My Machine: Heiz 720S
    My Controller: Zero 2 (25 pin parallel port)
    My PC: running windows 64bit. (USB input)

Things I think I'm going to require.

1) WinPC-NC software: (To run the controller)
    2) WinPC USB controller
    3) Software which can read G-Code (Mach 3/4 etc)

I was advised to go with CNC-Step Software and hardware based on my CNC machine type. If theres anything else you thing I require to at least get me up-and running, could you please let me know, as the cost is adding up.

many thanks in advance.

If your pc has an ethernet connection I wouldn't even bother looking at usb.
    UC300eth or UC400eth controller all day long, use an IDC26 to DB25 cable to connect these to your existing board.
    Mach3 or uccnc software works perfectly with both controllers.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I'm definitely with Dazp on this one - the UCxxx range of hardware is well-respected for general quality and reliabilty, and there is a lot of experience amongst forum members on how to install and configure. The UCCNC control software is probably the best option as well, as you are effectively starting from scratch. For your machine, the UC400ETH plus UCCNC software plus suitable cable to connect to your machine costs around euro180, although there would be import tax to pay on top. See here and here for more info, direct from the (European) manufacturer.

Not sure who gave you the WinPC recommendation, and they might be very good (although I don't remember seeing them widely used amongst forum members) but the UC series (from what I have seen at a quick look) cost no more, and are very much a known quantity. I run two of them on my own machines...

I bought the UC300eth, ucbb, cables, uccnc, 'kit', plus another ucbb spare from cncdrive.
    Then bought a £100ish HP laptop to run it from.
    I have ZERO regrets. It's smooooth.

If you're in UK. Cnc4you.co.uk carry the UC100 and UC400eth.
    Also, cncroom.com have some good kit if you want to full on start over.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think Jazzcnc also stocks controllers in the UK.

https://www.jazzcnc.co.uk/motion-control
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

303 Euros??

I'd concur with the earlier recommendations of the UCxx hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    303 Euros??

I'd concur with the earlier recommendations of the UCxx hardware.
    Though I'd be exploring the bullet on the S 720 feature list...

Machine comes with KinetiC-NC Ethernet Control System. KinetiC-NC software application runs on Windows 10 PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information