. .

Thread: 3d carving bits

Location unknown. Last Activity: 23-12-2009 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hello all,

Can anyone tell me where i can buy 3mm Diameter ball nose router bits that will fit in one of those cheap B&Q 1/4 routers, or is there somewhere i can buy a sleeve or somthing to put over the shank of a 3mm shanked router bit to make it fit in there ?

Many Thanks

Brian

Not sure where you can get the adaltor but you have to be careful what shape the cutter has as normally a ball cutter does not cut very well at the apex of the ball.
    You can get a normal carbide router bit that will cut 1/8" and they have 1/4" shaft, I think they are called a radius cutter.
    http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/_tr...t-p-79672.html
    Try this.

Peter

Hi Brian,

Yes i did, for a very good price too!, please see the link below.

Link: Collet adaptor 1/4" to 1/8" for standard router

Merry Christmas,
    Lee Roberts
    I dont know of source sorry, you could have a look on ebay.

As a newbie I need to purchase some cutting tools however I do not want to end up with lots of tools in the "I wish I hadn't bought that one" category. Is there anyone on the forum who can advise on where to purchase and what cutters a beginner might need? I know that that might seem like a "how long is a piece of string" question however if one assumes that a newbie will want to do some cutting, engraving and 3D work in a variety of materials ranging from MDF to Hard woods to Aluminium etc. then surely an experienced CNC users can recommend a "basic starter" set of cutting tools and perhaps a UK supplier?
    Thanks
    Life lesson number 1: If your not enjoying it your doing it wrong...........
    Life lesson number 2: Refer to Life lesson number 1...........

Location unknown. Last Activity: 19-06-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 89.
    Last edited by jonm; 30-01-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Hi, I use Faithfull router bits for cutting plastics, I get them local to me. Here's a link to a supplier. They are cheap, well made and come in a quality plastic box.

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sea...search&cat=944

Chris

a good source for milling and router bits and other bits and pieces of tool / equipment is company that we would use for supplies to the Senior High School I work in is " Tilgear" they supply good kit and a good customer service.

I find these people helpful and good prices too.

If you tell them what you are wanting to cut they will give you good advise and only sell what you need.

http://www.cutweltools.co.uk/

Chronos or RDG tools? Might be worth giving chester a ring? If you have access to a lathe then bushes are realy easy to make, thats what I do. This is a common question it seems, collets are v expensive and a brass bush is easy to make and grips tight. You don't need slitting saws, a cheaper razor saw by hand to slit is all you need. Maybe I should make some? Small detail... ball nosed slot drill can be driven vertically like a drill then horizontally because it has a tooth across the centre. Ball nosed end mills must approach the work horizontally because they dont have the across centre cutting surface. On hard stuf if driven vertically down they will skate around. Most retailers will sell "end mills" but they'e not, have a look, there should be one flute that goes across the centre of the tip of a slot mill. Niether as already said cut very well at the tip and it gets hot even with wood but slot drills do a little better. End mills nice for finishing contouring or that curved bevel effect thing that I cant remember the name of. For wood the single flute D type cutter works well and much easier to sharpen.
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

10. dear Brian, do you need 3d carving bits on wood? stone? or metal plastics acrylic…?
    If you are still looking for, test some types:
    http://www.astech-cnctools.com/
    they also give technique suggestion service too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embossing carving relief of ink stone by CNC router.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	9186  

Thread Information