Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
I may still have the barebones of a conversational programming C# project on my computer somewhere.

I started one a few years ago, mostly to force myself to learn how to code desktop apps, so there is lots I'd do differently now.
Although IIRC I wrote it using the older WinForms (Windows Forms) GUI. If I was to do something now, I'd use WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) which uses XAML for the GUI.
Interesting - I was waiting for visual studio to download and went to browse this thread so good timing! Now it has finished installing I’m sat here looking at the myriad of coding options and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I can see the WPF option and it offers both Visual Basic and C#.

Given that I would want to release a standalone executable at the end with a GUI to create custom gcode is there a preference? I’m looking at the WPF with VB option and my existing code out of Excel VBA would pretty much drop straight in at first glance, whereas C# would need rewriting. Sorry for the question but do you have experience of any downside to WPF with VB as I’m leaning that way now?

Also apologies to the rest of the users as this thread is going quite deep!