. .
    Hi can somebody explain why my dro reading is different to what the gcode is telling the machine to go to thanks.My gcode says -0.100 but my dro read 0.996.

You are not giving very much information to help us with.

Does it move the correct distance.?
    Which control software.?
    Metric units or Imperial.?
    Metric G-code or imperial.?

Post the full G-code file.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I have the steps per all sorted on all the axis, I am running mach3 in mm,s (you know the modern day measurement ) and in my gcode generating software. I dont have the gcode at hand as im out of the workshop.

Could it be the backlash in the machine?.
    Say, if you've moved the axis in one direction then told it to move the other straight after to measure it.
    Any backlash would cause a slight delay in motion. Thus resulting in moving a lesser amount mechanically than what is on the screen.

Or.
    Are you saying you want it to move in the minus- direction but dro is showing positive direction (-0.100 vs 0.996)?.
    In which case, do you need to reverse axis direction active state?.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 07-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.

My direction is ok , it all travels the correct steps per. its literally when I have told the depth to go to -0.100mm the dro reads -0.0996. Iknow its very very little but Im trying to engrave tile which as I have just found out is not even close to being flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousinit75 View Post
    My direction is ok , it all travels the correct steps per. its literally when I have told the depth to go to -0.100mm the dro reads -0.0996. Iknow its very very little but Im trying to engrave tile which as I have just found out is not even close to being flat.
    Ok, those numbers are different from what you posted the first time.? -0.1 is a long way from 0.996 which is closer to 1mm, however, the error you are seeing is common in Mach 3, it's a rounding up type error and I doubt your machine can resolve to 4 digits, very few can, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

oops thats on me not reading my dro correctly. Since then i have mabaged to find a floating engraving tool that will allow for a bit to be rotated by the spindle and still be capable of getting through the ceramic tile.

Thread Information