. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here is a picture of the lathe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iKC4.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	31141

Its an 8 position ATC driven by a Yako YKA2404MA stepper motor driver.

https://www.yakotec.com/index.php/proview-21-15.html

ATC Schematic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iKC4 ATC.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	31142

If you remove the stepper motor from the ATC, does it spin unloaded? I'm asking because Sieg seemed to be suggesting you should play with the driver settings. Didn't work but can you get ANY life out of the motor when it is free to spin? Failing that, would it be worth spending a few quid on a generic Chinesium stepper driver to see if the Yako thing really is the problem? Changing out the CNC controller itself is a big move, so you'd want to be 100% certain the driver and motor are OK first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    If you remove the stepper motor from the ATC, does it spin unloaded? I'm asking because Sieg seemed to be suggesting you should play with the driver settings. Didn't work but can you get ANY life out of the motor when it is free to spin? Failing that, would it be worth spending a few quid on a generic Chinesium stepper driver to see if the Yako thing really is the problem? Changing out the CNC controller itself is a big move, so you'd want to be 100% certain the driver and motor are OK first.
    Hi Muzzer,

You make a good point and I started thinking back through after my last post this afternoon whether I really had ruled out other issues before going with SIEGs suggestion of replacing the motion controller and considered trying another stepper motor driver.

I will do some more investigating as you say (and I had done some more tests this afternoon too. e.g. I ran several hundred lines of code with tool changes removed to see if the motion controller threw any problems and all was fine.)

First I will remove the stepper motor and try spinning it unloaded and work back from there. Updates to follow.

If there is only one stepper in the ATC then you might just switch to using a UC100 and Mach3/4

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd also go with Muzzers suggestion first.

The chances of the controller physically failing are pretty slim, but given it's a pretty unknown controller, it's hard to make suggestions.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quick update:
    I took the ATC cover off ready to remove the stepper so I can try it unloaded and there are no mechanical issues as I can rotate the ATC by hand by rotating the shaft with the machine/steppers powered off.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    If there is only one stepper in the ATC then you might just switch to using a UC100 and Mach3/4
    Thanks John. I'll see if the issue is down to the stepper motor or stepper motor driver and if not will head down this route.

I'm hoping it is one of these though because swapping out the offending component would cause a lot less headaches than a new ATC controller.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    So things seem to be mechanically OK.

Next easy test, can you rotate the stepper motor with the lathe powered up?
    This will tell us if the stepper driver is doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    So things seem to be mechanically OK.

Next easy test, can you rotate the stepper motor with the lathe powered up?
    This will tell us if the stepper driver is doing anything.
    The stepper motor driver and stepper motor are definitely doing something as they can partially rotate the tool but stop after about 30 degrees at which point the lathe hangs and disconnects from the PC running the turning software.

When I get some time this weekend I was going to remove the stepper motor from the ATC to see if it can complete full rotations without load.

That does sound far more like a controller issue.

Do you have any kind of manual for the controller?
    How do you home the Turret?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information