When changing file and tool I selected “Save parameters” but the WinPC-NC software lost the zero and I didn’t spot it on-screen. Before I could hit the red button the machine had moved in X and Z and embedded the cutter (8mm up cutter) into the Nylon 66 I was machining.

I have now made a note to move to X/Y zero BEFORE changing file/tool and to check the zero on-screen after loading a new file.

However, the crash resulted in a VERY noisy X axis. I greased both lead screws and rails and exercised the X axis with several long manual moves. This caused things to quieten down a lot.

However, there is still a lot of X axis noise when doing positioning moves and when homing. The problem is worst at the home position and less when closer to the stepper motors.

I have made a video showing the problem – you can hear the different noises.

www.bitbarn.co.uk/images/x_axis_problem_1280.wmv

The stepper motors seem fine – they are moving perfectly then the gantry is close to them.

The problem gets worse the further the gantry moves away from the motors.

I know, I should do my work closer to the motors – but the home position is at the opposite end (for reasons I don’t understand) so I normally work there.

The question is: what to look at - and how?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Note: I have been very happy with this machine in the few years I have had it.