. .
    Hello all

My name is Gary and i am really interested in entering the world of CNC, I have no engineering background but i am a hobby woodworker.
    Now that I have retired I have more time to enjoy my hobby and i am currently reviewing different CNC machines, so far I am leaning towards the Ozznest Workbee Z1+, can I ask please is this a good machine which is able to cut various wood around 20mm thick.
    Also is there a free software package I could download just to see if I can get my head around using it.

Regards

Gary

A whole lot depends on what you want to do with the machine. I'm probably typical in starting out with a very modest machine (home-built from MDF and every bit as good as that sounds...) but which taught me a lot - and mainly that I needed something bigger and stronger. I'm now using a home-built welded steel machine. The Ooznest is somewhere in the middle - better than MDF but more flexible than steel. Never used one, so not going to comment further. It's probably fine if you want to engrave house nameplates but will be somewhat lacking if you are going to mass-produce kitchen cabinets. Get some real feedback from actual users rather than the online videos is all I can suggest!

As for software - for a woodworker, the Vectric packages are probably the easiest to learn and likely to do all you want. But they ain't cheap. However, if you get at all serious they are well worth considering, and there are free trial (but limited) versions to play with. I started out with varous freeware packages but eventually realised how much time I was wasting trying to overcome their various limitations and started using Vectric Vcarve. For engineering CAD/CNC, rather than woodworking, Fusion 360 is very popular and I use that with my CNC mill. There is a free "home and hobby" version availlable of what is a very powerful commercial package. But it takes a bit of learning if you are starting from scratch.

Everyone has their own favourite CAD package. though and I'm sure that there will be other suggestions. I've only mentioned things that work for me and there are plenty of other choices.

Thank you Neale for taking the time to reply
    I take on board your comments around the size and strength of this machine
    I will download the Fusion 360 home hobby software version and have a play around with this first
    Thanks again

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum!

How did you get on, do you have the Ooznest Workbee Z1+ now?
    .Me

Thread Information