. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Been on my mind for awhile and after hearing and watching all these small businesses starting to fail due to the crisis my thoughts are with you guys. How are you all coping?

It's not good. I tried to renew my contract last month but my energy provider won't do it as they say "prices are too volatile".

Im in Spain, near Barcelona.
    Just installed 10 kW nominal PV array, 3-p, and our costs dropped from 400 to 100 with a further 100 reduction to come soonish == near 0 € power costs.

The critical path is:

We could finance this aka had the money or credit.
    We had plenty of roof space well orientated aka "towards the sun".
    Don´t need the PV company financing at 300% of project costs over 10 years.

The company wanted to do 2 major errors in the installs - i stopped.
    Probably, 90% of clients would not know about dc line transmissions loss,
    or care about visible installations infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    It's not good. I tried to renew my contract last month but my energy provider won't do it as they say "prices are too volatile".
    That bad :( I worked it out on the price cap that I would be running around 12kw per hr so if I was to run that 8hrs 5 days a week thats £700 a month that's not including any other power source being used. This could go on all the way through to 2024 too jeez...

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    Im in Spain, near Barcelona.
    Just installed 10 kW nominal PV array, 3-p, and our costs dropped from 400 to 100 with a further 100 reduction to come soonish == near 0 € power costs.

The critical path is:

We could finance this aka had the money or credit.
    We had plenty of roof space well orientated aka "towards the sun".
    Don´t need the PV company financing at 300% of project costs over 10 years.
    That sounds good. The problem is that when you live a long way North, close to a Western coast like I do, there's not a lot of sunlight for much of the time, so being able to generate enough power to run a CNC machine or cook your dinner isn't easy.

Physics.
    PV just does not work out well in scandinavia, and is so-so to marginal in the UK territories.

It´s hard on You guys, and I symphatise, but theres nothing anyone can do.

At some point a high-power transmission line, probably a superconductor, will be feasible to connect northern europe with say sahara.
    Just as a thought exercise, a 10 x 10 km PV plant of 100% efficiency would generate as much power as the whole of the earth currently uses.

At our current 20% efficiency rating it would need a 50x10 km area to power the whole earth --
    in reality, 3 plants spread throughout the world so the sun always shines somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    That sounds good. The problem is that when you live a long way North, close to a Western coast like I do, there's not a lot of sunlight for much of the time, so being able to generate enough power to run a CNC machine or cook your dinner isn't easy.

Physics.
    PV just does not work out well in scandinavia, and is so-so to marginal in the UK territories.
    That's nonsense. I have a similar installation and produce a bit more than half of my yearly electricity needs, which is 11 MWh using solar energy. My bill was zero during four months per year the last three years. I get paid for the unused energy, and during this year it meant a pretty good income so far. Of course, during the winter there is very little production and all is used by me plus I have to buy as well. Nevertheless solar power is very good investment in Scandinavia as well, and even though I live in the southern part of it, it is quite a bit north of the northern part of Scotland.

It´s hard on You guys, and I symphatise, but theres nothing anyone can do.
    Thank you. Though I personally prefer the climate of the north than the heat in Barcelona, especially during the summer.

At some point a high-power transmission line, probably a superconductor, will be feasible to connect northern europe with say sahara.
    To be honest, we don't need to make us even more dependent of shit hole countries, quite the opposite, the less we depend on them the better it is. It's enough that we have to increase the oil flow from those, because of an other shit hole country dictator, Adolf Putin, decided to start an invasion war against his neighbour causing all this crap for everyone.

Just as a thought exercise, a 10 x 10 km PV plant of 100% efficiency would generate as much power as the whole of the earth currently uses.
    I think that's a severely incorrect assumption.

At our current 20% efficiency rating it would need a 50x10 km area to power the whole earth --
    in reality, 3 plants spread throughout the world so the sun always shines somewhere.
    Yes? Well, I am not so sure. Besides, how would you transport the power from say the Kalahari, or the Australian desert to Europe? You are a bit optimistic or naive... I don't know which, but it is better if Europe makes itself independent and starts producing enough for our own use. Solar, wind, water and nuclear energy combined is the future, not electricity produced in the Sahara region or even further away. That's just a dream, which could have a worse outcome than that idiot Putin's stopping the gas to Europe causes.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 04-09-2022 at 03:17 PM.

We have been trying to get a solar PV quote from a company with a good reputation since February. They originally said we should be sorted by September or October but keep getting repeat orders from a commercial client so we don’t make it up the list. They have stopped quoting for new enquiries but no sign of us getting any further up the list. They also mentioned shortages of panels and other parts.

We also tried 3 other places but they are all busy and not quoting for new business currently.

We have been using the time to research all the options including storage batteries, optimisers and so on. It is a bit of a minefield and all we can hope to do is try to work out what questions we need to ask otherwise we will get a ‘nice little system that is easy to install’ but maybe not what we need. For example there are different batteries depending on if you want to buy and sell (high cycle).

It’s a bit like saying you want a CNC machine. OK, well what do you need to do and what are the specs? Hopefully we will get there in the end!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    We have been trying to get a solar PV quote from a company with a good reputation since February. They originally said we should be sorted by September or October but keep getting repeat orders from a commercial client so we don’t make it up the list. They have stopped quoting for new enquiries but no sign of us getting any further up the list. They also mentioned shortages of panels and other parts.

We also tried 3 other places but they are all busy and not quoting for new business currently.

We have been using the time to research all the options including storage batteries, optimisers and so on. It is a bit of a minefield and all we can hope to do is try to work out what questions we need to ask otherwise we will get a ‘nice little system that is easy to install’ but maybe not what we need. For example there are different batteries depending on if you want to buy and sell (high cycle).

It’s a bit like saying you want a CNC machine. OK, well what do you need to do and what are the specs? Hopefully we will get there in the end!
    I am glad we installed it three years ago. It paid off well, we have passed 1/3 of the investment in savings so far, and we still have four months to the exact three year marker. I have several colleagues who have trouble getting quotes and some installers just don't give any quotes at all because they have the order books filled and have problems getting solar panels delivered. Everybody is in panic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post

I have just ordered a Growatt AC Charger & Growatt 6.5kw Battery for my 4Kw (16 panels) PV system that I have had for 8.5 years It has generated 31.95 MWh to date.

My system has a small inverter under each panel so it outputs 230V AC so all the panels are connected in parallel (enphase) If you use a system with just one inverter they have to be wired in series and bring 450V DC ish down to the inverter..

I also don't let any power to go back to the grid as it diverts surplus energy to the immersion heater (boiler set to 30c and the panels bring up to 70c most days.
    This is achieved with a box I built for the job .

The company I am using to install the battery and Charger is ([email protected])

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enphase.jpeg 
Views:	161 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	31200
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information