. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To check if the limits cables were broken or not I knew the problem was related to the Y and A axis limits because the problem happens only when I try to home these 2 axis. So I disconnected first the A axis limits cable at both ends and installed a temporary brand new cable. Then I try to home the Y axis and the same message comes up. Did the same for the Y axis and the results was the same. So the message “Limits switch triggered” is not related to broken cables.

If someone can answer my previous post about what the M4++Limits / M4Home message refers to I may understand more and perhaps be able to solve the problem

Thanks

Just checking:- have you made any alterations to Mach3 settings since 'tidying up' your wiring runs? It has been a couple of years now since I used Mach3. My current thought is that there is some fault between the C11G and the ESS, which is an area of zero expertise for me.

Cheers,

Rob

Have done no changes to Mach3 configuration so now I give up!!! I also have no experience with the ESS, this is my first cnc with ESS.

My thinking is that the limits/E-stop/Probe and Homing work as they should so why bother with this darn message?

Anyone has an idea what the M4++Limit etc. as I asked in my previous post referring to?

Cheers

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Can you trigger each switch in turn and see which indicators light up on the diagnostics screen? I assume that these Mx indicators map to the notional 6 axes that Mach3 can handle but why they have not picked up the usual X/Y/Z etc labels I don't know.

I switched to UCCNC on both my CNC machines so I can't replicate this screen, unfortunately. I had been using Mach3 with an ESS but had problems with it so swapped to a UC300 and UCCNC - but not the same problems you are seeing.

It’s difficult to describe what you ask Neale because when I click a switch I can’t take a snip so I made the attached sketch. The black cells mark from the top down the lights ON in the indicated axis on the left of each bank.

But in my notes I found that M1=X, M2=Y, M3=Z and so I don’t understand why when I reference the Y I get on the diagnostic screen the M4 lights as shown but only for a few seconds and then I get the message “Limit switch triggered…”

I also switched to ESS because it’s difficult if not impossible to find a PC today with a parallel port and besides where can I find XP or Vista to run the PC?

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diagnostic LIGHTS.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	31211  

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
    T

If someone can answer my previous post about what the M4++Limits / M4Home message refers to I may understand more and perhaps be able to solve the problem
    M4 refers to the A limits. You can turn off the light by going into the Ports and Pins settings, but you are using slaved Y and A. Have a look at limits and home switches here https://www.machsupport.com/wp-conte...all_Config.pdf

Cheers,

Rob

Many thanks for your time Rob,

I printed the Mach3 Mill Installation & Config back in Nov-06-2008 and have read it many times but I didn’t see anything related to “turning OFF the light.. In any case before I turn the lights OFF I would like to know the reason why they come ON in the first place.

I’m retired and I build table cnc all in aluminum as a hobby, the last one I’m working now I think it’s my 9th and my first with ESS, before that one all were with printer port and never had any problems. It takes me about 1.5 years to build and sell one after to recover at least my cost. Yesterday I went thru the ESS config “Noise Filtering of Inputs” and changed the Limits number from 0.00 to 20.00. Then after a re boot I press the down arrow on my keyboard to move the Y (which is slaved to A) and suddenly to Y & A moved BUT the Y went much faster than the A and almost twisted the Gantry to the breaking point before I pressed the E-Stop, quite scary…

So now after 3 successful cuts on this cnc I’m losing confidence on the machine and thinking to remove the ESS and going with a printer port setup like I used to do before. The problem is I can get a desktop PC for $50 but where do I get the Windows OS like XP or Vista to run the desktop? I do have both XP-Pro and Vista DVD’s but I have to register them again with MS and it’s a hassle to do so, I’m thinking my options….Linux it’s an option but I’m not very good with it.

Today I have no time but tomorrow I will go thru all ESS settings carefully to see if I find anything I missed and then I will decide what my next step will be.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    If the Y and A axes are moving at different speeds, that suggests that something like the "steps per" settings are different, or maybe the driver DIP switch settings are different - but neither explains your other symptoms! I almost suspect ESS hardware problems, but it's very difficult to diagnose remotely like this.

My CNC mill is based on German-built hardware, but the CNC electronics were installed by a US company. Hence it used Mach3, ESS, and Clearpath servos - all US-sourced, of course. However, Mach3 has been obsolete for years,and there have been issues about poor levels of support for the ESS. So when I started getting data buffer errors, there seemed to be little point in trying to diagnose them and I scrapped the lot and replaced them with a UC300ETH and UCCNC - both of which are current and fully supported (and European!). I haven't had a problem with that setup, although I do use Win10. Unfortunately my Mach3/ESS setup did not have a slave axis so I have no reference settings to compare with you.

One odd thought - you are using a fully-licensed copy of Mach3? There are known issues with some copies of Mach3 from less than scrupulous suppliers which manifest themselves in all sorts of strange ways. Maybe worth a re-install of Mach3 and if necessary using a trial licence, to ensure that you have "clean" software? Apologies if your copy comes from an impeccable source!

Thanks Rob for your ideas but if I go with a parallel port I will get a desktop with build in parallel port which will be easier to setup Mach3. I also know the eBay XP copies but that too I don’t trust, I will install mine and I have 30 days to activate the install with MS. But I have another option which I will describe later.

Thank you too Neale for your thoughts. I forgot to mention yesterday when the Y/A went out of alignment I revert the ESS settings to original, re aligned the Y/A axis as they should be and re booted and then all was fine. This mean my motor settings were good. In addition my Mach3 license which I bought from cnc4pc.com from USA in 200 is good since I use it in all my previous cnc and never had a problem. (when I sell a cnc I remove my license and the purchaser knows he only has a demo version of Mach3)

However this reminds me that when I started installing ESS, the instruction were saying to install an older more stable version of Mach3 and they had a link for that version and that is what now is install in my laptop. I think it may be worthwhile to re install the latest Mach3 version and see the results. I think that is what I should do before I scrap everything and start from scratch again. I know that Mach3 support is not as it used to be.

Another option I may take is to contact wap9td.com, the ESS support site. Before my current problem I had another major problem with my Probe to set the Auto Tool Zero. Then the probe had its own mind and did all kind of crazy moves and finally this guy at ESS support helped me despite he originally said “I don’t support Mach3” (I’m telling you this machine goes from one major problem to another, never experienced anything like that before).

Tomorrow first I will go line by line to assure ESS is set up as per instructions.

If no luck, then I will re install Mach3 with the latest download I have

If no luck, I will contact ESS support for further help.

If no luck will try to do another cut(s) with my finger on E-Stop button

Neale you say you are using UC300ETH and UCCNC , does this include the BOB (Breakout board)?

Hi,

I would not advise a PCI PP card. They work OK, but getting the drivers installed with XP is not easy (English use of understatement!!!).

I must admit, I am out of ideas. I have a suspicion it is the ESS setup or a fault in the ESS.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Regards,

Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information