. .
    Hi.
    I’m looking for advice on how to remove the spindle from its housing.
    Please see the photos but basically I’m have a very noisy spindle (see my other thread) and I’m wanting to remove it just to check things out. I have no idea and can’t find anything online for my mill (AMA VM25L).

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Can you get a clearer photo of the top?

Going by the fact the spindle is threaded, it looks like something on the top will unscrew, but that photo is too blurry to actually make out any of the finer details.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

If it's a belted version: Have a look at the pdf manual for the PM25MV mill.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...39VMppd3bmUZIR

If it's a geared version: Have a look at the Weiss VM25L pdf
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...page=13#manual

There are a couple of instructions or you may be able to figure it out looking at the parts lists.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Looks like a belt drive head.

And having seen that parts diagram, the pic makes a bit more sense. You'll need to compress the washer underneath the horseshoe clip and remove the horseshoe clip.
    That should then let you drop the whole quill assembly out, and give you access to the main spindle bearing adjusting nut to fully dismantle the spindle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Hi all
    Thanks for all your replies on this. I will follow your instructions and take a look at the links.

Many thanks

Where can I purchase a pre tension spanner?
    I fudged something up to enable me to rotate the pre tension but it’s not sufficient. It’s a spanner similar to that of a angle grinder, there are two sizes one on each side of the bearings.
    Many
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markie11 View Post
    Where can I purchase a pre load spanner?
    I fudged something up to enable me to rotate the pre tension but it’s not sufficient. It’s a spanner similar to that of a angle grinder, there are two sizes one on each side of the bearings.
    Many
    Thanks

What you're looking for is a 'pin spanner', although personally I'd just use a hammer and suitable punch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What you're looking for is a 'pin spanner', although personally I'd just use a hammer and suitable punch.
    Many thanks

Thread Information