. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I recently cut some aluminium profile/extrusion.

I used a Chop/Mitre Saw to cut it, the thing is you can use a Wood Blade to cut Aluminium, you will need to make sure the blade has TCT teeth on it however.

Below you can view pics of the first test cut I did, this was using a 24T TCT Wood Blade.

As you can see while the end of the profile was flat and fitted OK against a plate of aluminium it wasn’t the best finish in the world.

This was due to the small amount of teeth on the blade (24), the more teeth a blade has, the better the finish will be...

So up next are the results using a 60T blade designed for cutting aluminium!

That's better, ok so it’s not a “glass” flat finish but it’s more than good enough for most people I would have thought?

The profile I cut was 80x80mm profile and I really can’t tell you how easy this stuff was to cut, my saw didn’t even cough. You will need to match your saw to the right blade; my saw takes a blade with a 30mm bore and a max diameter of 210mm; however the closest blade I could get to those specifications was a 216mm blade with a 30mm bore.

You can also get reduction rings/washers allowing you to use a blade with a smaller bore, you will need to look into this yourself.

Another option would be to use a grinding cutting disk, again you will need to match the blade sizes to your saw, I don’t really like to use a grinding disk because of the heat and so on....the choice is yours.

So now you can be confident that you can cut this stuff should you need to, remember to square up your new blade once it’s fitted to your saw and defiantly clamp up the aluminium profile before you start cutting it.

As a side note, the 60T Blade i used was from ebay @ £24.99 inc p&p, yes thats right inc p&p :clap:

Regards,
    Lee
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 28-12-2009 at 01:53 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

3. Lee,

What chopsaw is that? I am looking at getting one (cutting 1" thick aluminium plate by hand yesterday nearly did my elbow in). There's a 1200W/210mm one at Screwfix for £40 or a slightly better 1800W one for £70. might pop down to B&Q later and see what they have got.

I regularly rough out aluminium plate on a wood bandsaw with a skip tooth. Works okay up to 1/2" but 5/8 is dismally slow. Saves a lorra lorra milling.

I did have a table that fitted to the metal bandsaw and fed the metal in on a couple of linear rods, powered by a sash weight over a small pulley. Worked okay, haven't adapted it for the new bandsaw yet.

I do foresee a slight snag with that though, if I don't turn on the slurry the blade comes off after a while which is totally annoying. Not sure the slurry will find it's way back to the pump with the saw in the vertical position :nope:

5. Just bought a chopsaw in the sale at B&Q, got the last one and it was 15% off the sale price too - £50 down from £85. Uses 210 x 30 blades.

Amazon have 210x30x60t or 64t in stock

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MTJE06/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012B7SYM&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0994KF8VQGH2CJGG8K8P"]Draper 210x30x60t, £9.97[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQ65BU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012B7SYM&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0994KF8VQGH2CJGG8K8P"]Draper 210x30x64t, £8.39[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/210mm-30mm-Circular-Saw-Blade/dp/B0012B7SYM"]Summit 210x30x64t, £11.99[/ame]

Its a MacAllister Compound Mitre Saw 1800W:

B'n'Q

7. looks exactly like mine!

Good good, check out the test site ;-)

Lee,

Thanks for this info. I am sure you did all this research just for me! ;)

Only real problem with the chop saws is that most are designed for wood and the blade is to fast for most metals.
    The evolution rage 2 chop saw runs a lot slower and supposedly cuts steel.
    I though of getting one but just dont need to cut that much steel so I will stick with my Elu for ally and wood.

Peter
    Just had a thought(painful) a 3 pahse chop saw could run slower with and inverter, more money though!

Quote Originally Posted by CNCBlug View Post
    Lee,

Thanks for this info. I am sure you did all this research just for me! ;)
    80x80mm Profile at around £50 a meter, minimum order of 5 meters...hummm yea why not....CNCBlug needs the help :)

Bit of ali profile anyone ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information