. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been waiting to break a tap ever since I made a spark eroder.

I did pop an 8mm ISO the other day, dropped it, but there was enough sticking out the hole to grip.

2. Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Irving,

Is it cold in your workshop? I find it's almost dangerous to work if the temperature is too low. My brain simply refuses to work properly, even though I don't feel that cold (i.e body and hands warm).

Bill
    it is a tad nippy, but not too bad... with the fan heater on medium its about 15degC in this weather (4degC outside) if I put it on full it only goes up another degree so I dont bother.

Anyway redid the part today with no hassles except had to make the tapped holes M4 due to lack of M3 tap and 2.5mm drill now...

Its not even a complex part - just a 50 x 36 x 20mm chunk of ally drilled through 10mm and bored to take an 8x22x7 skate bearing on one side and a recessed 16x5 thrust bearing on the other, a cover plate for the bearing and a few mounting holes...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    it is a tad nippy, but not too bad... with the fan heater on medium its about 15degC in this weather (4degC outside) if I put it on full it only goes up another degree so I dont bother.

Was in the workshop today and started burning off Christmas rubbish in the stove, just above the stove is a thermometer and after it got up to 48 C I thought it prudent to back it off a couple of gears.

A nice 30 is very nice this weather, mind you when it's burnt down a bit it soon gets very cold with all the machines and metal in the shop.

I keep about 7 tonnes of steel on stock at any one time and that takes a large amount of heat to raise it 10 degrees.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Was in the workshop today and started burning off Christmas rubbish in the stove, just above the stove is a thermometer and after it got up to 48 C I thought it prudent to back it off a couple of gears.

A nice 30 is very nice this weather, mind you when it's burnt down a bit it soon gets very cold with all the machines and metal in the shop.

I keep about 7 tonnes of steel on stock at any one time and that takes a large amount of heat to raise it 10 degrees.
    I used to work in a workshop with no overnight heating, we had a radial drill which weighed about 10 ton. when this got cold it was like a giant radiator in reverse sucking in any heat we could get in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    OK, in a bid to recover my sanity and not have to start over, has anyone ever used this broken tap remover liquid? It sounds too good to be true!
    hi irving
    i saw this on another engineering site and remembered this thread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tap%20Remover[1].pdf 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	1695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cryogenic%20Broken%20Tap%20Removal[1].pdf 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	1694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Read%20me%20first-IMPORTANT[1].pdf 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	1693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tap%20Removal%20with%20Nitric%20Acid[1].pdf 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	1692
    Tom..

6. Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Irving,
    Is it cold in your workshop? I find it's almost dangerous to work if the temperature is too low. My brain simply refuses to work properly, even though I don't feel that cold (i.e body and hands warm).
    Bill
    Insulated boiler suits are the way forward, it takes hours rather than minutes for my feet to go numb if I am wearing one...
    http://www.cjsafety.co.uk/product/50...-suit-377.html

7. I used to have a set of them (in Zurich '87 - wonder where they went?), they're absolutely brilliant for working outside in sub-zero conditions :) They were bright orange, just like the camp x-ray suits :LOL:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information