Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum - joined in the hope of getting some advice on the correct setup of the CNC machine I have recently started to use at my job.

First, a little background... but please feel free to skip to the question below if you start nodding off!

I'm a graphic designer, signmaker and installer based in Kent. I've been working in the sign trade for almost 17 years. I'm very comfortable with the software side of things, and I've got a decent amount of experience with wide-format printers, flatbed printers and cutters, plotters, 3D printers etc. I'd like to think I have a pretty logical, common-sense approach to anything that's new to me, too. I enjoy the challenge of working out a new tool or machine, and I'm always looking to find ways to work smarter.

I began my current role around 18 months ago, joining a mid-sized family-run business as their new workshop manager. Since then, our production team has grown and I have focused a lot on streamlining our manufacturing and making better use of the tools and machinery that we have available. One such machine is a Chinese-made 10ft x 5ft CNC router (Unfortunately, I can see no manufacturer name or model number. although the handheld controller is a Weihong NK105 G2).

Currently, we have a couple of members of staff with some basic knowledge (trial and error solutions to accomplish simple tasks) but I'm hoping that with some help, I can learn this machine inside-out, and get it properly set up. I would love to be able to move a decent amount of our manual and sometimes inaccurate manufacturing over to this machine.

The main uses for the CNC are producing flat-cut lettering for signs and cutting lettering out for illuminated tray signs. It's mostly cutting 3mm Aluminium Composite, and 3-10mm Acrylic. We have a couple of V-Groove bits which I don't think have ever been used, and I would love to get the machine fine-tuned to the point where I can router and cut all of a tray sign - cutting out a lot of time and potential for error, bringing me to my questions:

TL;DR: I use a Chinese CNC Router of an unknown brand at work. It's already set up but doesn't cut an even depth across the whole of the bed, and doesn't cut completely square on the X and Y axis. I would love some advice on the correct, most professional/precise way to set the machine up and calibrate it so that we can get the most out of it.

I'm sure I haven't given anywhere near enough info, but hopefully, this gets the ball rolling! I have done a fair bit of work over the last couple of weeks - getting the machine level (I think!), stripping the old MDF spoilboard, and cutting new ones, but I've no idea the best way to mount them! Would be great to get some input on all the silly mistakes I've made!

Thanks for reading - I'm looking forward to the learning curve!