1. #1
    Do any of the learned members have views on the accuracy/repeatability of C5 compared to C7 Ball Screws. Also, is the extra cost of C5 kit worthwhile for the sort of work folks produce? For myself it is something I may consider bearing in mind one of the things I am looking to do is the engraving of custom made Fountain Pens (I already have an interested party in such a project)
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 02-01-2010 at 03:19 AM.
    Tim G-C

    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

    (attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Wobblybootie View Post
    Do any of the learned members have views on the accuracy/repeatability of C5 compared to C7 Ball Screws. Also, is the extra cost of C5 kit worthwhile for the sort of work folks produce? For myself it is something I may consider bearing in mind one of the things I am looking to do is the engraving of custom made Fountain Pens (I already have an interested party in such a project)
    For a machine doing fountain pens you wont have leadscrews longer than 300mm. C7 is 104um for error and fluctuation per 300mm length, C5 is 18um error + 23um fluctuation = 41um, these are all worst case figures.

    If your leadscrew is a 5mm pitch, direct driven then you are looking at a resolution of .025mm per step, or 25000um. With a C7 screw your worst case error is 208/25000 = 0.8% per step, with C5 its 0.16% per step.

    Spending your money on making the machine rigid and look at double preloaded nuts to remove backlash will improve the accuracy far more than going from C7 to C5!

    Basically for engraving a fountain pen there is absolutely no point, as your engraving tip is massive compared to this error (and anyway the rigidity of the machine will introduce larger errors).

  3. #3
    I thought so, and deep down I probably knew it as well. Thanks for putting me straight. I have a nasty habit of trying to 'over engineer' things which normally leads to me making any sort of project far more complex and costly than I can cope with. Net result ... Frustration and failure.
    Tim G-C

    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

    (attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

  4. #4
    As pointed out C5 while nice, is not really needed.
    I sell quite a lot of ball screws for cnc machines and have only been asked once for C5, and for such a small axis it does not offer any great advantage.
    Zero backlash and making the machine solid is good though.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    If your leadscrew is a 5mm pitch, direct driven then you are looking at a resolution of .025mm per step, or 25000um.
    Uh? Irving? I think you'll find .025mm is 25um.

    Sounds like you may have overdone the New Year celebrations :heehee:

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Uh? Irving? I think you'll find .025mm is 25um.

    Sounds like you may have overdone the New Year celebrations :heehee:
    B***er you are right...

    Over a 300mm length C7 gives a overall worst case positional accuracy of .07% and C5 gives 0.013%

    If absolute step position is paramount then C7 gives, worst case on 5mm pitch, an absolute step to step position error of 2% (of resolution) against C5 of 0.8%

    Doesnt change the conclusion tho, C5 is an unnecessary expense

Similar Threads

  1. Ball screw
    By luke11cnc in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-10-2011, 01:28 PM
  2. WANTED: Ice ball mold price question...
    By tanstaafl in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-09-2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Ball screw mounting questions
    By Redccm in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-01-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. WANTED: 12mm ball screw & nut
    By phill05 in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-06-2010, 09:26 PM
  5. Stationary Ball Screw
    By Wobblybootie in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •