. .
    What driver do you recommend to power a Nema 14/17 I don't want to use the A4988's as this runs 24 hours a day I just don't trust they're up to it. I need good positional accuracy 0.1mm over a rotation (It's geared 4:1 so 800 steps) works I will have a home switch will I'll use to track and correct drift if it happens

But if I'm getting drift something is wrong and needs to be fixed it'll be interference.

Home is more there in case of power off I can recover where I was

It take X steps takes a photo, logs it's position to a file and then takes another X steps. I can use the log to restore to original position in case of power off

It's a timelapse BUT timed to steps NOT time

TB6600 sound OK? I don't want to spend a lot but it does need to be accurate and capable of running 24/7 for weeks at a time

It's rotating a lazy Susan, rotation rates will be very low as should torque
    Last edited by Desertboy; 18-12-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Do the TB6600 go to low enough current for the motor?

I had planned to used TB drivers for desktop engraver, but ended up with DRV8825 drivers.
    The small driver chips are fine as long as you're not pushing them to their limit.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Do the TB6600 go to low enough current for the motor?

I had planned to used TB drivers for desktop engraver, but ended up with DRV8825 drivers.
    The small driver chips are fine as long as you're not pushing them to their limit.
    Hi this is the motor
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005433808105.html

TB6600 on the datasheet is 0.7amp-4amp

If I read the datasheet right the Nema 14 is 1.8amp

They sell them for 3d printer direct extruders so have more torque than average Nema 14 frame motors

I want something neat to wire too as well the little drivers how the hell do I mount them nicely???

I'm using din rail PSU's and relays to keep everything neat

So so many relays that poor little Pi.....

I have bought the listed motor I cancelled the TB6600 after watching videos of people bitching about them lol

It's just a pity i suck so hard at programming as that's going to be a bitch
    Last edited by Desertboy; 19-12-2023 at 10:00 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I ended up using a CNC shield with jumper wires to use the little drivers, but have added making a custom BOB for them on to the roundtuit list.

TB6600 drives are OK if you get genuine ones, and don't push them too hard by running near the maximum voltage.
    The 'fake' ones, don't even use a TB6600 chip. You can usually tell the fake ones, as they have a 32x microstep setting, which the TB6600 chip isn't capable off.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I ended up using a CNC shield with jumper wires to use the little drivers, but have added making a custom BOB for them on to the roundtuit list.

TB6600 drives are OK if you get genuine ones, and don't push them too hard by running near the maximum voltage.
    The 'fake' ones, don't even use a TB6600 chip. You can usually tell the fake ones, as they have a 32x microstep setting, which the TB6600 chip isn't capable off.
    I'm using A4988 in the end after researching I just have to make my own PCB lol

Not really that complicated I bought a PCB board from Ali, some sockets, resistors, pin headers ,etc

So I'm going to socket the A4988 before it connects to the Pi which means i can just swap another one if it fails they're cheap and I have multiple

BUT I went with them because for the kind of motor I have these give best microstep performance for resolution as long as you have more than enough torque

They also work at 3.3v for step/dir without having to wire in a transistor as the PI is 3.3v at the GPIO pins

Thread Information